Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Yeomanry

desert wasp

Can anyone tell me, whether the Yeomanry has ever been a regular outfit, or has it always been volunteer based?

Today its made up of TA, but are there any regular Yeomanry Units?

Desert Wasp

As far as I'm aware the Yeomanry have always been a volunteer cavalry organisation. I certainly don't know of any regular units that ever stylised themselves as Yeomanry.

Graham.

The Yeomanry{pre 1908 The Imperial Yeomanry} were the Cavalry Equivalent of the Territorial Force {pre 1908 Volunteer Battalions of Infantry/Companies of Corps etc} & have always been of a volunteer nature,the regulars are the Cavalry.

Gent's ,

The Yeomanry aren't the only volunteer cavalry that ever existed in our nations military past. I have copies of some late 1790's early 1800's Militia/Volunteer Lists which also have lists of Fencible Cavalry, Gentlemen & Yeomanry and mounted Legions of the Volunteer Cavalry and also Association Cavalry.

Locally they come with glorious titles such as;-

The Princess of Wales's Fencible Cavalry - 1796.

Percy Tenantry & Gentleman Yeomary - 1798.

The Cheviot Legion - 1799.

Loyal Wolsington Gentlemen & Yeomanry - 1798.

Royal Axwell Cavalry - 1806

Derwent Legion - 1806.

Durham Association Cavalry - 1806

North Durham Cavalry - 1806.

Loyal Usworth Legion - 1806.

Darlington Legion - 1806.

Staindrop Cavalry - 1806.

Gibside Association Cavalry -1798.

Hexham Association Cavalry - 1798.

Newcastle Association Cavalry - 1798.

Ryton Association Cavarly - 1798.

If I also remember correctly the Guidon* of the Cheviot Legion still survives to this day.

Graham.

*Swallow tailed cavalry colour.

Just out of interest, do they have unique ranks in the Yeomanry? Is a Pte a Pte or a Trooper?, for example?

Something I was thinking of earlier, whats the differnce between say Kitcheners volunteers and say a general run of the mill volunteer in peace time? Also whats the diifernce between a Yeomanry volunteer and a Kitchener one and any other type of volunteer? Surely a volunteer is a volunteer whether in peace time or war time. I can see the differnce between say a TA soldier and regular, any thought anyone?

Hello Gordon,

As you say, a volunteer is a volunteer. But in my opinion it makes a lot of difference if someone decides to join a part-time unit in peacetime, and devotes some of his spare time to attent training evenings etc, or someone who joins when a war breaks out. Besides this, the TF has a whole package of regulations and individuals had to be asked / invited to serve overseas. Kitcheners volunteers were automatically intended for overseas service I think. Speaking about volunteers, the whole British Army was a volunteer army of course. Conscription was introduced early 1916 only.

I hope these thought help a little.

Cheers,

Wienand

Something I was thinking of earlier, whats the differnce between say Kitcheners volunteers and say a general run of the mill volunteer in peace time? Also whats the diifernce between a Yeomanry volunteer and a Kitchener one and any other type of volunteer? Surely a volunteer is a volunteer whether in peace time or war time. I can see the differnce between say a TA soldier and regular, any thought anyone?

Hello,

A little off-topic but perhaps interesting. The Derbyshire Yeomanry started life as a regiment of Fencible Cavalry. Fencibles were regular units, but raised for Home Service only. Many were raised in 1794 when the war with France started. See this link for the details. I don't know if there were more regiments starting as regulars, but ending as volunteers.

Cheers,

Wienand

Can anyone tell me, whether the Yeomanry has ever been a regular outfit, or has it always been volunteer based?

Today its made up of TA, but are there any regular Yeomanry Units?

The Yeomanry were orginally founded in the 1790s. They rejoiced in such mottos as Liberty and Property! As Cavalry the 'private rank' was trooper I think, but unofficially I have seen examples of them being called Yeomen

Greg

Greg I thought as much, I have a Boer War Medal to a Cheshire Yeomanry named to a Trooper, but have seen Great War Medal listed giving the rank of Pte, I wonder if there called Pte or Trp today?

WD very interesting, I see what you mean. I assume that Yeomanry Units began serving overseas during the Boer War?

The rank of "Trooper" was unofficial until the end of the war. Before that the rank of "Private" was always used in regular cavalry of the line regiments.

When was it reintroduced? As I`ve friends in the Light Draggons & Scots DG`s who are both Troopers?

Also were did the Yeomanry get there casulaty replacements from, were they local enlisted or were men just sent from any where, as and when required?

I know that the Cheshire Yeomanry had a lot of Londoners posted to them?

Hello Gordon,

Yeomanry Regiments didn't serve during the Boer War, in the sense that complete regiments or squadrons went to South Africa. I think this had to do with liability to serve overseas, but I am sure someone else knows more about this.

However, most if not all Yeomanry Regiments sponsored companies of the Imperial Yeomanry, so in a sense they did serve in SA. Several of the Yeomanry Regiments formed in 1901 had that orignis in the Boer War. See this site for more details.

Cheers,

Wienand

Greg I thought as much, I have a Boer War Medal to a Cheshire Yeomanry named to a Trooper, but have seen Great War Medal listed giving the rank of Pte, I wonder if there called Pte or Trp today?

WD very interesting, I see what you mean. I assume that Yeomanry Units began serving overseas during the Boer War?

Now I am confused as I`ve researched the following soldier......

2754 Trp John William Gleave 22nd Cheshire Coy Imperial Yeomanry

John William Gleave, was born in St Asaph around 1882. He lived at ` Mount Pleasant` on Mount Road. He was a painter and decorator by trade, he served a 4 year apprentiship with Mr Peacock of St George.

On the 18th February 1901, John travelled to Chester and enlisted in the 22nd Cheshire Company of the Imperial Yeomanry, part of the 2nd Battalion of the Imperial Yeomanry, his age on enlistment is give as 20 years and 3 months. His papers described him as 5`4 1/4” tall, with a fresh complexion, blue eyes and dark brown hair. Religion Church of England.

On the 27th January 1901, he embarked for South Africa, arriving on the 5th April 1901 and serving there till the 27th September 1901. John was discharged from the Army on the 23rd November 1901 at Shornecliffe Barracks as being unfit for further service.

He is entitled to the Queen’s South Africa with 3 clasps, Cape Colony, Orange Free State and South Africa 1901.

John died aged 56 years of age, on the 30th December 1938 and is buried in Mount Road Cemetery, along with his Wife Hannah Gleaves aged 61 10th May 1941, and son John William Gleaves aged 66, 30th January 1980.

THE ORIGINAL CONTINGENT OF THE 22ND WAS 125 STRONG.AND THE SECOND CONTINGENT WAS 155 STRONG. CLASPS FOR THE QSA TO THE ORIGINAL CONTINGENT WAS. CAPE COLONY,ORANGE FREE STATE,S.A.1901(70) SECOND CONTINGENT CLASPS WAS. A FEW HAS TRANSVAAL,S.A.1901 (125),S.A.1902(100) FROM MAJOR .L.L.GORDON BOOK ON BRITISH BATTLES AND MEDALS.

The first soldiers of the Cheshire Yeomanry arrived in South Africa on the 25th February 1900, landing at Cape Town.

They had a big parade and marched through Chester, before deploying?

A volunteer who responded to Lord Kitchener's call was enlisted into a New Army. These were founded because of K of K's distrust of Territorial and reserve units. This was the reason for the disastrous lack of experienced Officers and NCOs in the New Armies. These were in TF or in the reserve.

There was also a sort of proto-Home Guard which raised a force for Home Defence - until 1916, they wore green tunics and a "G R" armband, but the passing of the Volunteer Bill in 1916 put them on a similar footing to the Yeomanry and pre-Haldane Territorials (rather than the WWI style Territorials). They had a regular adjutant, sergeant-major, and musketry instructor to each battalion. If any of you are interested in the "Genuine Relics" I can probably find some more data.

When was it reintroduced? As I`ve friends in the Light Draggons & Scots DG`s who are both Troopers?

Some time after 1920 I think. I seem to recall it being around 1920.

Gordon,

The Imperial Yeomanry were raised from volunteers within the Yeomanry and grouped together into Battalions, because the Yeomanry Regiments were not authorised by statute to service abroad.

So the 1st Imperial Yeomanry was to consist of the following companies;-

No.1(Wiltshire)Coy = formed from the Wiltshire Yeomanry.

No.2(Wiltshire)Coy = as above.

No.3(Gloucestershire)Coy = formed from the Gloucestershire Yeomanry.

No.4(Glamorganshire)Coy = formed from the Glamorganshire Yeomanry.

In your case the the Cheshire Yeomanry formed part of the 2nd Imperial Yeomany i.e.;-

No.5(Warwickshire)Coy.

No.21(Cheshire)Coy.

No.22(Cheshire)Coy.

No.32(Lancashire)Coy.

Gilgamesh,

You're actually referring to the Volunteer Training Corps, which became the Volunteer Force under War Office recognition in 1916. The seperate Corps of the above mentioned VTC, were then brought together as Battalions of Volunteer Regiments. In July 1918 all of these battalions were affiliated to their local county regiments under the old 1881 name of "Volunteer Battalions".

The VTC did infact wear uniforms of grey-green with the red armband which bore the letters "GR" in black, which was often referred to as "Gorgous Wrecks".

I actually wrote an article on the movement and it's uniforms in 1989 for the Military Modeller magazine complete with illustrations.

Graham.

Something that might be of interest.

A bit of research at my local Yeomanry Sqn, confirmed that the rank of Trooper is still in use in Yeomanry Units.

post-2587-1134127932.jpg

In 1794 when Britain was at war with Revolutionary France and invasion seemed imminent The Volunteer Act of 1794 was the first of many acts of Parliament intended to encourage men to voluntry enrol for the defence of their Counties Towns and Coasts or foe the General Defence of the Kingdom both Infantry and Cavalry units were raised, the latter often being known as Gentlemen and Yeomanry Cavalry in time shortened to Yeomanry. In fact the Duke of Lancasters Own Yeomanry can trace its origins back to 1798 when it was formed as the Bolton Light Horse Volunteers.During the Second Boer War in 1899 A new formation was raised known as the Imperial Yeomanry and they were to be Mounted Infantry. 123 men of the Duke of Lancasters Own Yeomanry volunteered to serve overseas and they served with the 23rd Company 8th Battalion Imperial Yeomanry Also part of this Unit were the Cheshire Yeomanry Company.Other Ranks have always been known as troopers in Yeomanry Units.

The best history of a Yeomanry Regiment serving during World War One is the Histroy of the Queens Own Oxfordshire Hussars During the Great War. Its quite comical in places especially when they first went to France.

Archived