Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Worcester Yeomanry

Doug Lewis

Could anyone provide me with information on the Worcester Yeomanry's part in the attack on Hill 112 on 21 August 1915.

Regards Doug.

Could anyone provide me with information on the Worcester Yeomanry's part in the attack on Hill 112 on 21 August 1915.

Doug,

The Yeomanry Regiments of the 2nd Mounted Division are mentioned in Stacke's book, at Scimitar Hill around 21st Aug. 1915. Is this what you are looking for or have I got the wrong outfit? Could not find hill 112, so perhaps this is not what you want. If you are interested I could export and e-mail a couple of pages from the pdf book. These Yeomanry regiments were operating as infantry then, being without horses.

Geoff

Thanks that would be great,I will send you my addy off forum.

Regards Doug.

Thanks that would be great,I will send you my addy off forum.

Doug,

Have emailed 3 pages and map.

Geoff

21st August 1915...

All day the 88th Brigade remained in reserve, for the attack in front did not succeed. The 86th and 87th Brigades went forward with great bravery in the teeth of overwhelming fire and almost succeeded in gaining Scimitar Hill (1); but our artillery had not been strong enough to master the enemy's fire, and the attackers suffered heavy losses.

To help them, the Yeomanry Regiments of the 2nd Mounted Division (2) were ordered forward. The Yeomen had only just landed , and advanced splendidly in extended order across the flat open ground between the beach and Chocolate Hill. They were fiercly shelled as they advanced but the manner of the attack moved all who saw it to admiration.(3)

(1)They twice reached the summit.

[2] The formation was called "The 2nd Mounted Division" though at the time they were without their horses and organised as an Infantry Brigade.

(3)The Worcestershire Yeomanry formed part of this force, and passed close to the trenches of the 4th Worcestershire.

Geoff

Received the info,thank you very much.

Regards Doug.

Dear Doug - There's a good few pages on this action in 'Diary of a Yeomanry M.O.' by Capt. O Teichman who served with the QOWH. Would you like a copy of it??

Simon

Simon

Yes Please.

Regards Doug.

Simon

Received information this morning,thank you very much.

Regards Doug.

Doug,

Hill 112 lies between Scimitar Hill and W Hills being about 300 yards behind W Hills and perhaps 1000 yards from Scimitar Hill.

The action is described in some considerable detail in Gallipoli: The Final Chance - General Kenna & the Yeomen at Suvla Bay by frank McCombie 1990 Newcastle University Library ISBN 0-903260 08 5

Martin

Martin

Thank you for the information.

Regards Doug.

• 2 weeks later...

Regards Doug.

Hill 112 was also known as Hill W,on the West end of the Ismail Oglu Tepe ridge.There is a full account of the Worcestershire Yeomanry's action in "The Yeomanry Cavalry of Worcestershire 1914 -1922 " by "C",published by Mark and Moody 1926.The regiment went into action 284 strong with 8 officers,and had 43 casualties.This superb history has embarkation rolls and is vital for any personal research.Also a good and atmospheric account in "Diary of a Yeomanry M.O.",by Captain O.Teichman,their Medical Officer.

Hope you can find these books.If not,I will see if I can copy for you.

Good Luck.

Brian .

Have you got the book `Diary of a Yeomanry MO` by Capt O Teichman? It covers the Regiment in Egypt, Galliopoli, Palestine and Italy. i got my copy on Ebay, for about £10, I think. Haven`t had chance to read it, so can`t pass comment, but thought you might be interested anyway.

Merry Christmas,

Gordon.

post-2587-1135078695.jpg