Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

grandads medals

Hi can anyone help? i am researching grandads medals. On MM it says T-24692 DVR W.C. BARKER 2/DIV:T.A.S.C AND ON MSM it says DVR A/SJT W.C. BARKER 63 R.N.D.T A.S.C

I KNOW HE WAS AN "OLD CONTEMTIBLE" AND DROVE A WAGON AND HORSES THROUGH HELLFIRE CORNER. ON THE ONLY MEDAL CARD I FOUND ON THE NA IT SAYS 3/ COY OR 3/CAY. I HAVE SEARCHED LONDON GAZETTE MANY TIMES BUT HAVE NOT FOUND ANYTHING YET. I KNOW HE VOLUNTEERED AND JOINED IN ARMY FATIGUES BUT CANNOT RECONCILE THAT WITH R.N.D.T. WHICH ON THE LONG TRAIL I TAKE TO BE ROYAL NAVAL DIVISIONAL TRAIN.

He should have a Card for his Campaign Medals{1914 Star British War & Allied Victory Medals} & A seperate card for both the MM & another for his MSM,I would modify your search to just Number & Surname,as the Full Christian Names may have been used or alternatively just initials.

Once MiCs have been obtained the MM & MSM should be locatable on the London Gazette Site{if "Stebie" can help,try PM ing him!}

I would suspect that having started in 3 Company ASC;2nd Division,in 1914 & having won his MM with them, he was later posted to the 63rd RN Division,Divisional Train;where he earned his MSM

Many thanks for everyones help, i now have M.I.C for all medals and listings in the gazette. Next step i guess is the war diaries although i understand most were burnt. Great site and great people! barin

War Diaries were not burnt though a small percentage of them are missing.

Service Records are the ones which were burnt, which are of course more useful for an individual soldier. The War Diary MAY mention an MM though...

I assume you have all three MICs (Campaign medals, MM & MSM) ?

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...=1&mediaarray=*

Steve.

steve, many thanks for looking up the gazette entries for me. yes, i do have all M.I.C cards now. Only thing extra they contained were the words Devotion/France. Interestingly i found in a library book that so many of the R.N.D.T were killed so quickly that a battallion was formed from regular army to make up the numbers , which explains how my grandad came to join them. Frustratingly it didnt name the battallion.

Thanks again Barin