Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Listening Dishes

Tom Morgan

Somewhere on the East coast of Britain I understand there were huge, concave dishes, rather like today's satellite dishes, but either carved into cliff-sides or built of concrete on the top of the cliff. The idea was that they would concentrate sound-waves by bouncing them to a central point where they would pass down a central tube ultimately connected to a set of stethoscope ear-pieces. A listener could then hear the sound of hostile airships while they were still miles away and normally out of earshot.

Can anyone tell me more about these dishes? I'd specially like to know if anything like this still exists and if so, where.

Tom

Tom

This is straight from the top of my head and may be wrong but I seem to remember reading that one of these walls was at Shornecliffe.

I will try to see if I can find the actual reference and let you know if I am correct on the location.

Tom,

Not at home at present but I have a book with some info and pictures of these dishes and will post when I can.

I seem to remember Redcar on the Tees Bay and close to Scarborough were given as a couple of locations and I think one or two are still in position.

Bob.

Listening Walls at Romney Marches near Greatstone are not for the faint hearted. Finding them is almost impossible, they actually lie between Lydd airport and the holiday camp at Greatstone on the B2071 out of New Romney. The walls were early experiments with concrete structures, shaped rather like satellite dishes, they were supposed to hear the sound of approaching enemy aircraft. They didn't, radar did!

Tom

You can clearly one of these dishes sitting on the hillside to the north from the A259 on the west side of Hythe where it passes the Army Firing Ranges.

My understanding, however, is that these were built in the 1930's just before the introduction of radar.

Tim

Thanks, Gary - "Sound Mirrors" and more there. I'll be able to have a look at some of these next time I'm in Dover with some time off.

Tom

Tom,

"Sound Mirrors" were developed by the Munitions Inventions Department, some had "side wings" to reduce interference to the listener positioned in front.

The bearing and altitude of incoming raiders could be determined by the use of the sound collector connected to a system of quadrant pointers which were moved over the surface of the concrete "mirror".

In the North WW1 examples can still be seen at Redcar, Boulby, Kilnsea and Sunderland.

The Redcar structure now being Grade 2 listed.

Bob.

Thanks, Bob. The original picture I remember seeing somewhere in the past showed what looked like a dish carved out of natural rock in a cliff somewhere and with a listener in position. But although no reference to this kind of dish has shown up, I have more info about the location of others than I could have hoped for. Thanks again -

Tom

Tom,

The info I have only shows "man made" structures, no doubt someone will come up with details of what you describe carved out of rock and cliff faces.

Bob.

Tom

Further to my last post. One pic on the acoustic technology page is dated c1913 on the Kent coast it looks like it could be a cliff face one?

Dave

• 4 weeks later...

WOW!! I have never heard of this!! It is amazing the things you learn about because someone asks a question.

I wonder how many other "little known" items are out there that most of us don't know about!!

Dean Owen

Whitby Ont

Did you know that each post was also manned, at the beginning of its life anyway, by a blind man.

The blind man was supposed to have a heightened sense of hearing.

These listening posts worked best when small numbers of enemy aeroplanes were involved, flying in close formation. If the enemy cam across in a large formation (the largest formation was aorund 24 aeroplanes), then the noise was too confusing to give accurate results.

Just as the 'listeners' got used to the difference between two Gotha bombers, and one Zeppelin, the Germans started to use the 'Giant' bombers and this caused yet more confusion......

Have just spent a glorious half hour or so looking at this thread and the links... a true example of the wealth of info here..

Had no idea that they existed.. thanks for that.. :)

John

Tom,

"Sound Mirrors" were developed by the Munitions Inventions Department, some had "side wings" to reduce interference to the listener positioned in front.

The bearing and altitude of incoming raiders could be determined by the use of the sound collector connected to a system of quadrant pointers which were moved over the surface of the concrete "mirror".

In the North WW1 examples can still be seen at Redcar, Boulby, Kilnsea and Sunderland.

The Redcar structure now being Grade 2 listed.

Bob.

Any idea where this was located in Sunderland. I will go and visit the site and post picture if still there.

Peterd

After hunting through the undergrowth I found the devil behind a set of allotment gardens to the rear of Fulwell Mill. It stands about 8 feet high, with sidewalls and faces out to sea. See picture below.

post-6-1064159158.jpg