Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Times History of the Great War

Ciaran Byrne

Has anyone got / read them? I've just got hold of the full 18 volumes for a £28. I have seen a few articles featured in them and thought they were ok. for a £28 though I could not resist. Anyone else got these?

Edited by Ciaran Byrne

Sorry to disappoint - I've got a set of 21. Some I paid a fiver for each, and then came across an almost complete set in a skip. Not being the proud type, I now have 14 spare volumes, (including XXI if you are interested)

They are great for detecting attitudes of the time, but not much use as a historical record. Reading the account of the some of the battles one could be forgiven for thinking that the German army only had two types of soldier - those that were swiftly dispatched with bullet and bayonet and those who threw up their arms in surrender, only to open fire when Allied forces approached.

They are very good at reporting on the other theatres of war - 40 pages on the capture of Cameroon and Togoland, 80 pages and dozens of pictures from the Irish Rebellion. The maps are useful too, although they contain no military information.

There are also some unusual features; I've just found a page of pictures of Vicars with gallantry awards. Unfortunately, there is no central index, so researching individual men involves trawling through every volume separately. It's even harder looking up regiments, which are not listed except when linked to a particular battle.

If anyone would like some of these volumes I'm happy to pass them on, for the cost of a few stamps. They include features on Gallipoli, Verdun, Loos, 3rd Ypres etc.

Dave

PS Ciaran, 'Home of West Ham'! Perhaps Home of the poached Reading FC manager would be more accurate. We're coming up for revenge next season!

At the risk of disappointing you both, there are 22 Volumes; the last one is a comprehensive index published a little later that the rest and is often lacking from a set.

Anyone know where I can get hold of volume XXII of the Times Illustrated History of The Great War?

:D

Dave

I have got Vol. 4 starting at about 25th May 1915 and I would really like the volume/s which cover the first part of May 1915 & April 1915. Which I suppose is Vol. 3

That is if you have not already promised it/them to someone else.

I would pay the postage and I know the magazines are quite heavy.

Kate

Sorry to disappoint - I've got a set of 21. Some I paid a fiver for each, and then came across an almost complete set in a skip. Not being the proud type, I now have 14 spare volumes, (including XXI if you are interested)

They are great for detecting attitudes of the time, but not much use as a historical record. Reading the account of the some of the battles one could be forgiven for thinking that the German army only had two types of soldier - those that were swiftly dispatched with bullet and bayonet and those who threw up their arms in surrender, only to open fire when Allied forces approached.

They are very good at reporting on the other theatres of war - 40 pages on the capture of Cameroon and Togoland, 80 pages and dozens of pictures from the Irish Rebellion. The maps are useful too, although they contain no military information.

There are also some unusual features; I've just found a page of pictures of Vicars with gallantry awards. Unfortunately, there is no central index, so researching individual men involves trawling through every volume separately. It's even harder looking up regiments, which are not listed except when linked to a particular battle.

If anyone would like some of these volumes I'm happy to pass them on, for the cost of a few stamps. They include features on Gallipoli, Verdun, Loos, 3rd Ypres etc.

Dave

PS Ciaran, 'Home of West Ham'! Perhaps Home of the poached Reading FC manager would be more accurate. We're coming up for revenge next season!

Thanks for the info! I really wanted the bit about the Irish Rebellion to be honest as I have seen excerpts from it and it looked quite good. If you have spare volumes and want to get rid of them then I'm your man. Please PM me with the details....

As for poaching your manager :lol: I went to both games at your place, two seasons ago. I don't know what it is but we just cannot beat Reading. Mind you, the way you are playing at the moment you should get an automatic promotion. You don't want to get in the play offs. Did that twice and when you lose it isn't fun!

Providing Mrs Broomfield doesn't find out, I'd be interested in Vol XIX and XXI. The rest I was given by a work colleague who bought them for £95 (!!!) and then discovered he couldn't sell them on.....it's an ill wind: he just left them on my desk for me :)

Sandyford - happy to let you have volume III, covering Fall of Antwerp, Advance on Ypres, Naval war, First Ypres, and several other campaigns in different theatres. PM with your adress.

Of the later volumes I only have XXI

Navy's work completed

Fishermen and the war

Auxillery patrols

American campaign 1918

British Missions in America

Mercantile Marine

Inland Transport

British share in the Pece Conference

US at war : End

Armies of Occupation

Collapse of Germany

New German Regime

British propaganda in enemy countries

France and the peace conference

Settlement in Estern Europe

Break-up of Turkey

I guess it should go to Ciaran (despite the Hammers stealing Pardew) since he asked first.

Other volumes available are

V (2nd Ypres, Dardenelles)

VII (Navy 1915, Sari Blair, Suvla Bay, Evacuation of Gallipoli, Winter on western front, shell shock, Sea power, fishermen, artillery construction and use)

VIII (Verdun, Military service, German air raids Feb-May 1916, Church and army, Irish rebellion)

X (VC's of the war 1, Navy 1916, Somme (II), German air raids May-Nov 1916, Baghdad, Mechanical transport, Prize of war, munitions, fall of coalition govt, Egypt, Somme (III) relief of Verdun)

XI (2) (Belgium under German rule, Science and health of armies, Shipping problem, Somme (IV), Mercantile marine, Fishermen, Somme (V) and (VI), end of American neutrality, German peace campaign Dec 1916)

XIII (US at war, Blockades, Abdication of Tsar, Aircraft, NZ and the war, Baghdad, Greece/ Swiss/ Dutch in war, Care of disabled soldiers, VC's of war (III), Russia - March -July 1917)

XVI (2) (Russian peace, 3rd Ypres, British Island colonies, Naval transport, Verdun 1917, Malmaison, Canadians (II), Russian Navy, America's first year, VC's of war (V), Cambrai)

XVII (2) (Arab uprising, Cambrai 2nd phase, Fuels, Boy scouts, Allied command in 1918 - Foch, Science and pests of war, Mesopotamia, Anti-submarine war, Portugal, winter 1917-18, VC's of the war (VI), Women's work)

Postage seems to be £7.20 though I'll check with the post office tomorrow. I'm sure my wife would pay that much just to be rid of them off the floor. :lol:

Thanks dave, that would be great. I would only want the spares after volume 18 that you have. Please let me know the costs.

Thanks again!

Dave

Thank you very much for this offer.

Will pm straight away.

Ciaran - I think you did very well to get all those volumes for £28 and so did everyone else in this thread.

The whole lot for nothing!

Can't say fairer than that.

Kate

• 8 years later...

This thread was a long time ago - but I just picked up 20 vols for £30 - missing vol 10. If anyone has a spare, or the index vol (22) could they get in touch.

Phil

They look good on the bookshelf but does anyone actually spend any time looking at them, I have the times history, war news, war illustrated, the history of the great war, the great world war, and a set of ww2, the second great war. About 12 feet of shelf space can't remember the last time I opened them.

They look good on the bookshelf but does anyone actually spend any time looking at them, I have the times history, war news, war illustrated, the history of the great war, the great world war, and a set of ww2, the second great war. About 12 feet of shelf space can't remember the last time I opened them.

I agree, my thirteen volumes of the ' The Great War ' are in my loft , I also have ' World War 14-18 : A pictured History ' (2 vol) and ' Twenty Years After ' (3 vol) which i

rarely look at ,the only one that i regularly refer to is ' The Great War : i was there ' (3 vol).

When I was a teen, my local library forf some reason had what I think were the first 2 bound vols. I was the only person ever to check them out over & over. One day Iwent in & they were gone. I asked if someone else has checked them out? I was told that NO, they were big &heavy & they were thrown into the trash to make room for other books!! I was very upset to know this & was told it was done every quarter, shelves cleared of old books for new ones. No telling how many rare books went in the trash that way. SO when I found a book I wanted that was about CEF escapers, I "lost" it & paid the small fee & saved it from the bin. I was given advance notice by a lady who worked in the library it ws due to be trashed so took action.

• 5 years later...

Good afternoon,

after finding Chapter III on Women's Work (Vol 17) in PDF online, I went in search of the rest and found the whole lot on archives.org... I sense lots and lots of hours reading ahead.

BUT… question: does anybody have an INDEX of all volumes, just to have an idea what chapter/topic to find in what edition??

I could make one myself, would not take so much time I think, but if it exists…

Thanks.

Marilyne

Volume 22 is the general index. It should be available online.

Cheers,

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎20‎/‎06‎/‎2020 at 22:09, Nigel Marshall said:

Volume 22 is the general index. It should be available online.

Cheers,

thanks!!