Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Corrigan book on Loos

n cherry

I've given this up as a lost cause, which is a bit disappointing, as I enjoyed his 'Mud, Blood and Poppycock'. I had on order with both Amazon and Tesco for over a year! 'Armourersergeant' was meant to meet Maj Corrigan earlier in the year and proposed to ask about the book; Corrigan didn't turn up.

I did, however, enjoy Niall's book. ( thanks for the signature)

Roxy

I've given this up as a lost cause, which is a bit disappointing, as I enjoyed his 'Mud, Blood and Poppycock'. I had on order with both Amazon and Tesco for over a year! 'Armourersergeant' was meant to meet Maj Corrigan earlier in the year and proposed to ask about the book; Corrigan didn't turn up.

I did, however, enjoy Niall's book. ( thanks for the signature)

Roxy

Thats was not a one on one :lol:

Stuart David Nobbs (an undergraduate) published a long (38 pages) article in the e-journal of the School of History at the University of Leeds :- http://www.leeds.ac.uk/history/lhf.htm Called "A great deal of nonsense has been written about Loos. The real tragedy was its nearness to success.” British Participation in the Battle of Loos, 25 September – 13 October 1915: A Re-evaluation".

The pdf is here :-

http://www.leeds.ac.uk/history/e-journal/Nobbs.pdf

Arm,

As a brigadier-general, or indeed an armourer sergeant, I am certain that you would have been able to approach Major Corrigan had he turned up!!

Roxy

;)

PS. Thank Rod.

Edited by Roxy

Rod,

Thanks for that link, seems very interesting.

Roxy,

I am sure I would have been shy!

regards

Arm

Rod - many thanks for the link, look forward to reading this

Charles

Corrigan is giving at leature on the Battle of Loos at the National Army Museum at 1230

on Dec 15th, which hopefully I will be able to attend - so I will let you have a critique.

I did not know he was planning a book though, I will ask him.

Nials

I managed to get a copy of your book earlier this year although I regret I have not had

time to read it yet - thanks for the credit on my photographs. I visited the battlefield with

a mate back in the spring and we covered a fair amount of ground including standing on

top of the double crassier and looking across the battlefield - got some more excellent

photographs.

Geoff

If Maj Corrigan is giving a lecture on Loos then, presumably he has the basis, if not the material for his book.

I hope so.

Roxy

Has anyone seen this book yet? Is it still not out???

I ordered this book when it first appeared on Amazon.uk. After it was posponed a couple of times, I removed it from the basket. It still appears in my " Recommendations" and is advertised as available in 4 to 6 weeks. I have seen a post on the forum that it has been cancelled.

The intel I have from my local bookstore is that it was printed once and that "reprint is under consideration". They left a message on my mobile phone last night to say that "my special order was in", but alas not which one - I'd also ordered "Command and Control on the Western Front."

The intel I have from my local bookstore is that it was printed once and that "reprint is under consideration". They left a message on my mobile phone last night to say that "my special order was in", but alas not which one - I'd also ordered "Command and Control on the Western Front."

If it is the Corrigan book, I'd be grateful for a heads-up.

The book was published on 1 October 2003 & is currently out of print, according to the website of the publisher, Spellmount. I don't therefore understand how it can have a publication date of 18 October 2005 on

Amazon.co.uk. Amazon gives a higher RRP (£20) than the publisher (£18.99) so perhaps the reprint mentioned by Justin is coming but has been postponed?

That will be the Command and Control one I bet!

regards

Arm

I did glean from someone who knows the author that it had just slipped and slipped - I am pretty confident it has not been published as yet.

Clarification from my bookshop now reveals much the same story, and something vague and unsubstantiated about TV documentaries taking up the author's time slipped out at the end. (Sigh)

Edited by Justin Moretti

Gordon Corrigan giving a lunchtime talk at the NAM about the Battle of Loos - NO

His publishers failed to tell him

The NAM confirmed the talk with G Corrigan but he was referring to another talk..........

The 80+ who had turned up for the talked were treated to an interesting, short notice talk about the excavations at the Hohenzollern Redoubt linked to the NAM exhibition and the Cable TV series, but it wasnt quite the same thing........and no sign of the book if it exists

As Moriaty says - Corrigan was a no show. But the impromptu talk from Andy Robert-Shaw was excellent.

My mate who came with me today said the thought he heard some mention of the book being released

next year ??

Geoff

Edited by Geoff Parker

Corrigan was a no show.

Pure speculation on my part, but if he's a no show at events, and the book is mysteriously delayed, could there be something else going on? His health, family, etc?

Andy

I would guess a priority problem more than anything else!

regards

Arm

Thanks everyone for the info...good job I didn't decide to go to the talk!

Perhaps Mr Corrigan is too busy with TV work or it's a case of an agent getting his client a book title and then the author not wanting to write it.

For those in the Midlands, Gordan Corrigan is booked for one of the Birmingham University (First World War Studies Dept) evening seminars - generally finished by 7pm.

Tuesday 7 February 2006 5.30pm

Major Gordon Corrigan (Author and Broadcaster)

Myth and Reality in the Great War

http://www.firstworldwar.bham.ac.uk/wsseminar.htm

Thanks everyone for the info...good job I didn't decide to go to the talk!

Perhaps Mr Corrigan is too busy with TV work or it's a case of an agent getting his client a book title and then the author not wanting to write it.

Would Amazon be listing and recommending a book which has never been written? Who were the publishers intended to be?

The reason that Corrigan missed the NAM lecture was not his fault. Apparently the NAM booked the

lunchtime lecture via is publishers and they forgot to inform him. The museum staff actually spoke with

him as we waited and have fixed another lecture for next march.

Geoff