Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Air Force Lists

gnr.ktrha

Hello,

Does anyone have any copies of the Air Force list, covering the Great War period ? If you do, would you please search for any men called 2nd Lt. J Farquhar. I have A BWM named to him and I am keen to find out as much about him as possible. I have a previous post regarding him, but so far all the replies are about a Lieutenant who was shot down and killed. I just want to know if it can be the same man, or if there was another with the same name.

Thank you very much for looking. Please add a post if you have any information.

Regards,

Stewart :rolleyes:

The April 1918 Royal Air Force List has no "J. Farquhar." There is a Lieut. J G Farquhar, with a date of rank of 1 April 1918 and qualified as a Air and Seplane Officer.

There are two 2nd Lieutenants in the November 1918 Army List with the name:

2 Lt J. Farquhar, RFA SR with a date of rank off 8 April 1918

2 Lt. J. Farquhar, 8th Bn, The Black Watch with a date of rank of 28 March 1917

Gunner 1

My gut feeeling <_< is that I would rule out The Black Watch Officer

Commisioned 2/LT.28.3.17. Joined the 8TH Battalion 11.6.17. To Hospital 11.9.17. Promoted Lieut 28.9.18.

Kind regards

Fred

[

The April 1918 Royal Air Force List has no "J. Farquhar." There is a Lieut. J G Farquhar, with a date of rank of 1 April 1918 and qualified as a Air and Seplane Officer.

This one was qualified as a seaplane pilot so would have been ex RNAS.

I have found the April Air Force List to be somewhat flakey, especially with regard to a pilot's initials and rank - not surprising, bearing in mind the monumental task it must have been to quickly produce a definitive list of amalgamated RFC, RNAS, RNVR etc personell.

Mike

:) Hello Thanks all for the replies.

There is a 2nd Lt J Farquhar in the Feb 1919 list, an Airoplane [Land Plane] officer. Are there any MIC cards for RAF medals ? That way, it will be possible to find out what rank was put on the medal. The Black Watch officer is still a possibility, as he may not have held the rank of Lt outside the UK and his highest overseas rank would have been put on his medal. I will have a look through my BW histories and officer lists to see if I can find out more about him.

Thanks once again for your time and help.

Stewart

Mate,

Just to move to an angle, do you have the details on who killed this officer.

Lt Arthur Wallace Kemmis Farquhar 1 Sqn AFC

He was an observer with Lt Murphy in an FE 2b when he was shot dead in a dog fight near Ludd in Palestine 26th June 1918.

Do you know which enemy pilot may have claimed this engagment?

Cheers

S.B

Mate,

Just to move to an angle, do you have the details on who killed this officer.

Lt Arthur Wallace Kemmis Farquhar 1 Sqn AFC

He was an observer with Lt Murphy in an FE 2b when he was shot dead in a dog fight near Ludd in Palestine 26th June 1918.

Do you know which enemy pilot may have claimed this engagment?

Cheers

S.B

Steve I don't know who got Wally Farquhar but it was reported the EA's observer was hit. Perhaps you can connect the dots via the GAF's casualty reports.....long shot.

Andrew.