Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Visit to France, June 2006

Stephen Nulty

I have decided that in June next year, I will finally make my first ever visit to the battlefields of the Great War.

I have three things on my list of "must do".

1) Visit the Menin Gate

2) Visit the areas where my grandfather won his MM (Festubert, 7th September 1918) & Bar (Givenchy, 17th September 1918)

3) Visit my Great Uncle James at Villers-Brettoneaux

I'll probably go for about 5 or 6 days and at the moment I am minded to travel independently, rather than with a tour.

I'd be grateful for any advice pals could give to a novice visitor on any and all aspects of trips such as this.

I know it's a bit of a "broad brush", but I need to start planning.

Many thanks

Steve

Edited by Stephen Nulty

Steve I did a similar adventure a few years ago. Amongst other things I would recommend getting Rose Coombs book, Before Endeavors Fade. Well worth the money in general, but great for first time visitors.

I would also recommend going independently, or arranging with one of the local Pals on Forum for a personal tour. Group outtings don't always allow you the time and freedom to see those sites you most interested in.

Not sure how your planning on getting around, but a car is a must. (Versus trains, bikes, etc)

Also if you pick a hotel to base your travels from you'll probably better off. Ypres is a good place, though a bit further from Villers-Brettoneaux then say Lille, but that is a preference thing more than anything else.

thats my two cents... I am sure others will add more.

Andy

Steve, you will certainly have a memorable trip, and once hooked you will want to keep returning. My tupence worth:-

1. if you are going for that length of time its worth basing yourself at 2 places i.e. Ypres and somewhere on the Somme. That way, using one of the guides, you can plan your daily trips taking in as much as possible without overdoing it.

2. Get yourself a good battlefield guide, as Andy says theres Before Endeavours Fade by Rose Coombs or the Holts Guides, and Paul Reeds book on the Somme.

Make sure you have good maps, I have many a time got lost on the Somme!

3. Do not miss the Last Post at the Menin Gate but if you are going in June get there early, it gets pretty crowded these days! And the Buglers are always thankful for a word of thanks afterwards

4. Travel independently for the freedom of it, or a good tour Company for the knowledge gained if it is led by someone knowledgeable.

5. If you go by car stock up on all the essentials, books, torch, camera, spare parts for car, tow rope in case you get stuck as I did once at Memetz. etc etc

6. Prepare yourself for the amazement of it all and to be pretty tired afterwards.

7 A word of caution- careful where you park your car and dont leave anything visible in it.

Enjoy your tirp

Patrick

5. tow rope in case you get stuck as I did once at Memetz. etc etc

Eh? :ph34r: How come?

A word of caution- careful where you park your car and dont leave anything visible in it.

Good advice. Try to park in a village wherever possible if you are doing a set walk. If the walk starts from outside a village in some remotish place, change your itinerary so that you start in a place of habitation.

Also, avoid end of June on the Somme unless you have accommodation booked there or elsewhere.

Good luck

Martin

So many great guides and great places to stay, etc. I spent just 2 days in Ieper and it was a trip of a life-time ... check out my experiences at www.aghollinger.org > family > adventures > Europe 2001. That'll have names and places, etc.

A tow rope is a great idea. I got my car stuck in deep mud once, at Grand Ravine near Havrincourt. Not a soul for miles. Not a tool of any use in the car. Eventually I found a large piece of old fabric lying in a ditch and it was just enough when put under a wheel to get me moving.

Eh? :ph34r: How come?

Martin

Cos I drove down the farm track to the Welsh memorial and half way down realised I might be in trouble but continued anyway. Coming back the mud was so thick the car stuck. Dusk approaching, no one in sight, thought I might spend the night there. Then realised Citroen';s have adjustable suspension. Put it on high setting and drove out like a tractor

Patrick

Andigger is right, Before Endevours Fade is well worth buying for route planning. However unless it has been updated may things have changed. For example, when I visited Couin in the 80's the wall was as it had been left in 1916, the sign slowly fading. Now the was has been rebuilt, the old paint 'refreshed' (painted over) and a memorial to dogs and horses added. To my mind the place has been completely spoiled.

Gunner Bailey

Gentlemen

Many thanks for taking time to pass on your views.

I am almost certainly going to travel independently, and will bear in mind the comments on the tow rope !!!

Will also be sure to get the appropriate guide books.

Regards

Steve

A stout pair of walking shoes mate. And morning visits to the supermarkets to stock up on bread, cheese, water, wine, anything you fancy for lunch. Sometimes it can be difficult finding something to eat in the smaller villages. And the missus got me some binoculars a while back. Not essential but fun. Oh and a hat! it's June!

Thanks, Rupert.

Being bald as a coot, I never go anywhere without a hat if there's even only a chance of sunshine !

Steve

• 2 weeks later...
I have decided that in June next year, I will finally make my first ever visit to the battlefields of the Great War.

I have three things on my list of "must do".

1) Visit the Menin Gate

2) Visit the areas where my grandfather won his MM (Festubert, 7th September 1918) & Bar (Givenchy, 17th September 1918)

3) Visit my Great Uncle James at Villers-Brettoneaux

I'll probably go for about 5 or 6 days and at the moment I am minded to travel independently, rather than with a tour.

I'd be grateful for any advice pals could give to a novice visitor on any and all aspects of trips such as this.

I know it's a bit of a "broad brush", but I need to start planning.

Many thanks

Hi steve I've found that the guide books by paul reed are great especially if you are walking and leaving your car.They are a good size to fit in your pocket! Have a great time! TommyMan.

Steve

Steve,

When in Ypres I always stay in the Arianne. It is just out of the town centre about 5 mins walk from the Cloth Hall.

It is a modern 4 star hotel and the staff are really friendly, food is excellent and it is quite reasonable. It even has its own display of memorabilia in the foyer which adds to the atmosphere.

Have a great time

There is a website if you wanted to have a look.

Liam

Hi

I hope you really enjoy your trip, we did when we had our first one in 2004. I agree with everything said. A few things we won't forget.

Everything in France shuts down from Sunday lunch to Monday lunchtime, especially supermarkets and restaurants, we were eating crusts by the end!

We took very detailed maps of France and these helped enormously when trying to find the way.

The smaller cemeteries are well worth a visit as well as the more popular ones. Two which stick with us are Douchy-Les-Ayettes and Hebeuterne.

Lastly, although June, if you get the chance to visit the larger memorials at night they are beautifully illuminated and look indescribably lovely, a different feel altogether than in the day!

Enjoy the visit

Hil & Phil

Again, many thanks for the information, all of which is aprpeciated and will be used in planning the trip.

Steve