Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Hello from a Cornish newbie

Guest erbojones

Guest erbojones

Greetings from drizzly Cornwall.

Just thought I'd introduce myself to the illustrious members of this board.

I'm particularly interested in the 2/4th Bn Hampshire Regiment (I've posted on the MIC thread because I'm a bit stuck there) - my Great Grandad was serving with them in France when he won his MM. Its a nightmare trying to find out what he won it for! Still, its extremely interesting researching WWI - each new piece of information opens up a myriad of possibilities and avenues of exploration - and this is just for one man! How he survived I'll never know - God bless those who never came home, those who did but were irrevocably changed by it and their friends and families who tried their hardest to understand but would never be party to the full horror of it all.

Best wishes to you all

Lesley

Welcome, Lesley. My auntie wore what she thought was a Cornish piskie(?) on a gold chain for many years in memory of a holiday with her husband in her youth. She found out recently that it is actually a Lincoln imp. Can you suggest any words of comfort? :) Phil B

Guest erbojones

She must be devastated - at this sad time there are no words that could possibly relieve the disappointment she must be feeling. My (very Cornish) thoughts are with her and her (not very Cornish) imp.

Lesley

Words of comfort from my Aunt:

Up the Imps!! (usually in her loudest voice)

You can chose your friends.... :rolleyes:

Steve.

Welcome, Lesley. My auntie wore what she thought was a Cornish piskie(?) on a gold chain for many years in memory of a holiday with her husband in her youth. She found out recently that it is actually a Lincoln imp. Can you suggest any words of comfort? :) Phil B

How do you know it's not a Leprechaun with a bike? :)

Guest erbojones

Just found this:

THE CORNISH NATIONAL PISKIE RESERVE

Thought by many to be simply a myth, Newquay

Zoo has found evidence to the contrary, with several inexplicable findings

around the Tarzan Trail area of the Zoo. After much research - Piskie

naturalist ‘Mark Norris’ (Also believed to have been a piskie in a previous life -

indeed some people are still heard calling him a ‘right little piskie’) has come to

the conclusion that all that is needed is a little patience and belief to bring these

little people out from hiding. Special tools and building materials are being left at

different points for the Piskies to use and start building homes. So if you

would like to find out more about the Cornish Piskie (see if you can spot one) and

other British wildlife, then head down to Newquay Zoo.

- but remember - you will only see them if you really believe!

Oh Dear.

Hello from Aberdeen where the golden sun is slowly sinking in the west. I think I will harvest the last of the oranges tomorrow. :) It's all this sleet, it can drive a man mad you know. Joan the Wad for ever.