Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Hohenzollern Redoubt (new)

Paul Reed

Following on from previous threads of a year or more ago, I was in the Loos area with my fellow Leger guides this week on one of our regular battlefield recces. We all have a certain fascination with this particular place, and enjoy walking it. On a cold and bleak Tuesday afternoon, we were parked up on the edge of Cite Magagascar, when the owner of the workshop there came out and offered us some parking space in his yard, to avoid the lorries going up and down the track. I asked him what this was all about it and he informed me the filling in work close to the site of the Redoubt has started again. Following protests by locals, WFA, members of this site etc, permission for the land-fill had been dropped. Our informant told us that as no-one was showing much of an interest in the subject anymore, the mayor has once more given the land owner permission to start dumping and filling again.

Looks like the WFA etc have dropped the ball on this one...

I therefore attach some photos showing the nature of the ground - which has even changed since I was last there myself in September!

Any locals or interested parties know more about this?

No 1:

post-6-1133530618.jpg

Edited by Paul Reed

It seems like an interested and responsible party needs to step forward with a plan to preserve the area. With as many interested parties as there appear to be, this shouldn't be an issue. I also realize this is easier said than done however. So, what will it take to protect the area, is it a matter of money, a plan, over coming local opposition? Perhaps if we knew more about what could be the solution, someone could start the process of protection.

Andy

If this work has started again, then I for one will be contacting my local newspapers in Staffordshire to protest again. I am certainly interested in the area and it is particularly sad that the particular landowner in question has seen fit to go back on his word to stop dumping building refuse on the site. It is also particularly sad that the Mairie of Auchy-les-Mines has not acted to prevent this work starting up again, despite giving assurances to various representatives that he would take a great interest in the matter. Paul, are you able to give me more details so that I can persue this with my local MP and other agencies I wrote to last year regarding the matter?

I am very dismayed by this news, especially considering that the Mairie spoke of his great interest in trying to protect what remained of the legacy of the Great War in his village on 25th September of this year at the ceremony that was held in the Town Square.

Andrew - all I know is what I have posted above. I was hoping those who had direct contacts with the Maire, or people involved in the previous protest, might be able to step forward to confirm this or otherwise. The photos and what I saw seem to suggest work is on-going. The lorries have certainly turned the access track from the Cite into soup, as you can possibly see on some of the photos?

It seems that 25 Sep was a long time ago! Let's hope that something can be done to preserve, in some way, this battlefield.

Roxy

Regarding this matter I can report that the tipping has never stopped at all for over a year. However, it has all been monitored and the information passed on to the All Party Parliamentary War Graves and Battlefields Heritage Group. This is a cross-party group, made up of MP's and those from the House of Lords.

See link: http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/c...902/memi340.htm

The British Consul is looking into the tipping and destruction of the last mine craters and the All Party Group will be getting involved shortly if there are no guarantees that the dumping will cease and the last few craters preserved. They has held back before because agreements appeared to have been made.

When I get more information then I will pass this on. Just wanted all to know that this has not gone unnoticed by those in the halls of power.

Let's hope that something can be done.

Thanks Ralph. While I am pleased to read this, the engines of Parliament move slowly and it isn't exactly encouraging to read that part of the mission statement is " to assist the Commonwealth War Crimes Commission"; that says to me some involved at the Parliamentary level have no idea what this is all about. But it is good to see Peter Barton's name associated it with.

I am going to make some calls myself over the next week and will pass on any info I find here.

Thanks Ralph. While I am pleased to read this, the engines of Parliament move slowly and it isn't exactly encouraging to read that part of the mission statement is " to assist the Commonwealth War Crimes Commission"; that says to me some involved at the Parliamentary level have no idea what this is all about. But it is good to see Peter Barton's name associated it with.

I am going to make some calls myself over the next week and will pass on any info I find here.

Paul,

I spotted this typo/glaring error earlier when I found that weblink and have pointed it out to the appropriate people so it can be changed. Someone at Westminster probably had to type in all the Parliamentary Groups and came up with this corker!

Good luck in your phone calls.

Hi all,

I realise I'm on the other side of the world now, but if there is anyling that I can do to help this situation, please don't hesitate to ask. (Don't know what I would be able to do!)

I am very dismayed by this news, especially considering that the Mairie spoke of his great interest in trying to protect what remained of the legacy of the Great War in his village on 25th September of this year at the ceremony that was held in the Town Square.

Typical. When there is a touristic interest (for the ceremony for example) noble words are spoken, promises are made. Then the event is over and it is "back to normal".

This seems to be a new approach in politics: whereas it was not accepted in earlier days to admit that the average civilian could be right, this has changed now. But only formal.

In stead of saying always "no" (or "non" or "neen"), now they"ll see "yes, maybe..." or "you are right, we will see what can be done...". Discussion or action stops because people think they have reached their objectives and then nothing changes, knowing that it is very hard for common people to restart an action again and again.

Erwin

Paul,

This photograph was taken on the monday 26th September, the day after the 90th anniversary, despite the mayors speech at Auchy the day before.

Andy

post-1871-1133606049.jpg

Paul,

Perhaps we should all make individual representations to the British Embassy in France in order that they may be in no doubt as to our strength of feeling regarding this matter.

The email address for the Paris Consulate is:

consulare-mailpavis.consulare-mailpavis2@fco.gov.uk

If the Mayor's name is Frederic DUMORTIER his email address is:

fdumortier@ville-loos.fr

Mairie de Loos

104 rue du Maréchal Foch

BP 109

59120 LOOS

Regards,

Tim

Hi Tim - yes, might be an idea to email the Embassy.

However, I am pretty sure this ground is in the commune of Auchy les la Bassee. It certainly isn't in Loos, and the mairie there will have no juristiction over this part of the battlefields.

Any ideas of who we can e-mail in repsect of this sad series of events?

As a grandson of someone who fought there I was rather taken aback to find that it was being used as a landfill site. :angry:

I will of course mail my MP but does anyone have a central point where perhaps all interested forum members can voice their opinions on this