Guest cherrysmash

Guest cherrysmash

Hello, Could anyone help me with info on

Private Roland George Lowe,

Oxford & Bucks 2nd/1st Bucks Bn

Service No 267368

Died 22/08/1917

I am trying to trace family history and all I have are these details

about my Great Grandad, so anything on the 2nd/1st Bucks bn would be great and most appreciated.

Thank you

Emma

Emma

The 2/1st Ox and Bucks were part of 184th Brigade of the 61st (2nd South Midland) Division and were formed in September 1914 at Aylesbury.

They landed in France (at Le Havre) on the 26th of May 1916. They were on the Somme in the November of 1916 but don't seem to have seen action in what was by then the last days of the battle.

On the 22nd of August 1917 they were involved in an attack to take a series of strongpoints as part of the wider Third Battle of Ypres, better known as Passchendale.

The information I have is rather high level but it's likely someone else will have something more specific

184th Brigade was under Brigadier General Hon R.White

"The concrete pillboxes were intact as on the 16th August, and being re-covered with mud each night by the German garrisons, both they and the intervening machine gun nests were invisible to the infantry till it was close up. The 15th Division was checked soon after the start in front of Potsdam, Vampire Borry and Iberian Farms (these were heavily fortified positions along the German front line);parties seen to infiltrate beyond, near to the objective, were never heard of again.The 61st Division advanced it's line about 600 yards to include Somme Farm and Hindu Cottage (strong points). Thus on the whole, little was gained by the Corps"

This is from the official history of the war

Hope this helps, I hope someone else can add some more detail

Hambo