Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Care for a Camel?

J T Gray

Adrian

Many thanks for that. If only the Lotteries Office would cooperate, I might be interested!

B6291 served with No 10 Sqn RNAS from 28 September 1917 before being wrecked at Droglandt on 30 September. After repair, it then went to the War School at Manston, then No 206 Training Depot Station at Eastbourne, where it was wrecked again on 7 June 1918. No 206 TDS had become No 50 TDS when B6291 spun in on 7 August 1918 when flown by 2Lt G V Straker, who was severely injured. It was struck off on 16 August.

Where has it been all this time?

Regards

Gareth

If that one doesn't appeal, I know of a WWI warship supposedly going "Free to a good home"......

Shame there's not two Camels - would look good on the mantelpiece!

Secretly stored in a loft in England since WWI, this 1917 Sopwith Camel #B6291 was discovered by a former Royal Flying Corps Camel pilot with the cooperation of Sir Thomas Sopwith. Carefully restored to flying status by British Aerospace Co., at last it is here now in the U.S.

I so love this description. I`m so glad its back in the USA too. :lol:

Do think perhaps the young lady comes in the buy it now price or is she extra?

But on a serious note I`m glad this one appears to be in great condition so many poor old Spitfires have been smashed up by rich residents of the States.

Steve.

A nice wall hanger I guess. There seems to be some doubt about the authenticity, does anyone know about the Camels at the RAF museum an Hendon and the IWM? I took these to be genuine. I'm afraid I do not know the numbers

does anyone know about the Camels at the RAF museum an Hendon and the IWM? I took these to be genuine.

Yes, both are original, the F1 at Hendon has a clouded background being originally owned by the Nash Collection and fitted with an Anzani engine I believe. It's origins were, and I presume still are, clouded in mystery. It obviously doesn't carry its correct markings.

The IWM's 2F1 "Ship's Camel" was Flt Culley's Zeppelin destroyer, N6812.

If anyone is interested in a painstaking replica, the Northern Aeroplane Workshop has been working on a Camel for the Shuttleworth Collection. Their website takes a bit of finding and I don't seem to have a link on this machine. I'll post it later when I find it.

mike