Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Hew Strachen

lassuy

I'm about a quarter of the way through Hew Strachen's first volume of his 3 volume set on the Great War. I'm finding it fascinating, and reasonably well written--it's not as easy to follow as some authors, but the amount of material and the depth of scholarship is breathtaking. I bought the book last year, and am just getting to it. This got me to wondering when the other 2 volumes are due out. I checked the Oxford Press website, and no listing yet. Does anyone know when we can expect them?

Lassuy - did you see the WWI series on the military channel? The most recent episode was on Tues this week. The first credit states the show is based on Hew Strachan's work. Andy

Unfortunately, I don't get the military channel---certainly wish I did, though. Strachen's work certainly is exhaustive, and will probably come closest to a comprehensive history of the war for some years to come.

I'll second that - this is heavy-duty history, tells why it happened and what were the implications. Although I was disappointed not to find a reference to my Grandad's 42nd Division, who according to the 1922 history fought a great action in defeating the Turkish attack on the Suez Canal - Strachan plays down the whole action, probably correctly. I feel this is more social and political history rather than military history.