Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

3rd/4th Btn The Queen’s, (Royal West Surrey Regiment)

greatspywar

Hello everybody,

Does anybody know exactley where this battalion was on the 6th of October 1917. The 4th of October they were at the Polygonebeek (near Polygonwood) in the attack on Broodseinde as a part of the 62nd brigade/21st division. Were they still there on the 6th? Does anybody has any records on that or on the person mentioned in the topic description?

Kind regards,

Jan

• 1 month later...

Jan

Following the attack they took part in on the 4th they withdrew to a place called Jetty Warren and dug in. They had great difficulty getting the wounded out due to heavy shelling. On the 5th they spent the day improving the positions and experienced continuous heavy shelling throughout the day. There were infantry attacks on the units to the left and right of them but none against the 3/4th.

Throughout the 6th and 7th they were subject to very heavy shelling and were finally relieved on the 8th.

The soldier you refer to is listed as E.H.E. De Lacey in the roll of honour in the history of the 4th Battalion, on SDGW he is listed as Delacey , I suspect the spelling is more correct in the Battalion roll.

SDGW has his full name as Erie Harold Ellis Delacey G/24980 Private born in Manchester,enlisted in Wandsworth and living in Streatham in South London He was formerly 242491 of the East Kent Regiment.

Casualties of the actions from the 4th to the 8th were Killed 3 officers and 61 other ranks, Wounded 17 officers and 241 other ranks and 21 men missing

I have a list of the officer casualties if you're interested

All the best Hambo

Hello Hambo,

I didn't expect to get an answer on this topic. It had been a while since a first posted it.

Thanks!

Delacey is mentioned Delacey as well on CWGC, but the family (who contacted me) have De Lacacey. It made it difficult finding him on the CWGC.

Is it possible to get a copy or a scan of the battalion Roll of Honour? Do they just mention his name, or is there a short biography as well?

I'm very interested in the list as well.

archives@passchendaele.be

Kind regards,

Jan

• 3 weeks later...

Jan

It's just the list of names, no bio I'm afraid, if you'd still like a copy of the list (which covers the whole war not just Passchendale) then let me know and I'll scan you a copy

Hambo

• 1 month later...

Jan

I emailed copies of the rol about three weeks ago I hope you got it. If not let me know and I'll try again

Hambo