Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The World War I Databook: The Facts and Figures on All the Combatants

Roxy

I've just seen this for sale on the Borders website from £12.99 (RRP£40). Has anyone read it?

Roxy

Not really one to "read" as such Roxy. It's just full of tables and lists and is semi-useful (only "semi" because there's not a lot in it that can't quite easily be found elsewhere). About the most useful (for me) section is the one that covers the movements of the non-British combat divisions. Some of this info can be difficult to find elsewhere.

I suppose it's worth £12.99, but I'm certainly glad that I didn't pay £40 for mine! (I think I may have referred to my copy about once in 5 years, it's that indispensable!!! :P )

Dave.

Yes, it is a reference book and not a narrative. Naturally it contains matter that can be found elsewhere but it summarises and tabulates and brings everything together in one place. The book consists mostly of tables, organisation diagrams and maps. As the title says, it attempts to gather facts and figures for all the combatants, and it is this inclusiveness that makes it so useful and a great time saver. The book is very well produced on heavy quality paper and I would rate it very good value for £12.99.

The books is divided into sections thus:

The war in maps

Command structures

Orders of battle

Organisation and equipment

Strengths

Casualties and losses

Production

Hardware

Thanks folks, it's as I expected. Not sure if it will make it onto the Santa list this year!

Roxy