MILITARY COURTS 1879 - 1994

susanhemmings

Just purchased CD - Military Courts

Royal Navy 1911 - 1965

(Royal Air Force 1941 - 1994) - wrong period for this forum really

Army 1879 - 1986

Soldiers Executed 1914 - 1920

Shot at Dawn (Western Front) 1914 - 1920

lists names - reason (why) and dates. etc.

lookups offered.

Susan,

Could you please give some information about the CD - title, cost, where purchased from etc.

The following is an account of an incident in which my uncle, Harry Chaplin, died. If you (or anyone else on the GWF) can find any reference to the court martial of Sergt. Richer and Corpl. Kerridge, both 4th Suffolks, it would be appreciated.

Thanks, Brian

Friday 22nd January 1915

We had a quiet day at Headquarters, the shelling on this day being more at the Rue du Bois where they had to get into the cellar as a precaution. Nothing happened until about 7 p.m. when we got a message to say that the post on the extreme right, No. 6, had been rushed by the Germans. Capt. Parry was in command of that section and he reported that Sergt. Richer who was in charge of that post with Corpl. Kerridge and 7 men had returned before being relieved, in a very exhausted condition, with the news that the Germans had come on and rushed the post and they had retired.

The Reserve Manchester Company was sent as a reinforcement, but it was left for Capt. Parry to ascertain exactly what had happened, and to recapture the post. Capt. Parry and Lieut. Pain went out with parties and finally discovered that the trench was un-occupied so they put the relief in, returned and reported. Sergt. Richer and Corpl. Kerridge were placed under arrest for deserting his post and subsequently a court of enquiry was held and a Court Martial ordered.

Brian, purchased from sandn.net (s and n genealogy supplies) 9.95

It is called: MILITARY COURTS 1879 - 1994

will have a look on it in a moment and post again.

susan.

Brian, had a look. Cannot find anything relating to Sgt Richer or Cpl Kerridge.

Sorry. - Susan.

Hello

is there a Saville/Seville or Watts of the coldstream gds mentioned ?

The former was sentanced to death but this was commutted to prison - later KIA though

thank you

Ian

Hello,

Please can you tell me if there is any reference to 9829 Pte James William Ruttleton, E. Yorks. R. He was convicted of desertion (I belive in 1917) and had his medals forfeited, although they were later reinstated.

Thanks,

Jon

Coldstreamer,

Nothing for Saville/Seville. There are two references to Watts - but neither Coldstream Guards. One is pte TW Watts (7/E Yorks) aged 21 and the other pte W Watts ( 1/L N Lancs) aged 29. Are you interested in either of these?

Sorry for delay. did not log on yesterday.

Susan

Jon,

Nothing for Ruttleton - sorry.

Sorry for delay, did not log on yesterday.

Susan.

Hi Susan

Any chance of finding out whether family legend that my wife's grandfather, surname Rylatt (I think Harry Martin) was arraigned for courtmarshal in Ireland during the war when he was skipper of a minesweeper due to misbehaviour somewhere in the Aegean. Everyone that heard the story from him has died, so details are becoming vaguer.

A long shot I know, but thanks for the offer.

Ray

Hi to all,

Try this Ebay seller.

Item number: 6585878082

gary

Hi Susan

Any chance of finding out whether family legend that my wife's grandfather, surname Rylatt (I think Harry Martin) was arraigned for courtmarshal in Ireland during the war when he was skipper of a minesweeper due to misbehaviour somewhere in the Aegean. Everyone that heard the story from him has died, so details are becoming vaguer.

A long shot I know, but thanks for the offer.

Ray

Ray,

cannot find anything for "Rylatt"

Sorry.

susan.

Susan,

Thanks for looking for me.

Regards,

Jon

hello

thanks for loking but it was just the coldstream gds I was interested in

Dont suppose a Cooney of the Coldstream is mentioned ? Just remembered he deserted as well

Cheers

Ian

Edited by Coldstreamer

Hi Susan - Thanks for alerting us to a useful source. Does the disc say anything about the original source of the data? The S&N website isnt forthcoming.

Specifically I would be interested to know if it includes:

1) complete data from WO 213 (which includes the death sentences listed in Oram's list of death sentences passed)?

2) a transcription of the extracts from the Divisional A&Q war diaries dealing with courts martial in WO 154?

thanks

Charles

Hi Susan

Is the CD searchable by regiment or Battalion at all? If so AND if its not too much aggro, Id be really grateful of any Bedford Regt entries that are available??? If there are loads of them, then 5th Battalion would be my first choice if that helps?? No rush but was gonna be doing this in the new year the hard way (TNA etc!), so would save a helluva lot of work!!!

Thanks very much :D

Steve

just loading the cd now. hope to have news for you.

Susan.

sorry for delay, computer crash at work, lots of back (data) entry needed.

Edited by susanhemmings

Hello -

Hopefully I have added two attachments of pages one and two of the introduction to this CD. I hope this answers questions.

COLDSTREAMER; no reference to a Cooney. There is only ONE Coldstreamer - 1st Coldstream Guards. Pte. WTH Philips - Deserter - sentence 30.5.16

RE: Bedforshire Regiments - does not seem to be ANY mention of any Bedfordshire Regiments on either part of this CD (Court session or Shot at Dawn) - I have tried typing in variations to bring this up, ie Bed, Bedford, Shire - still only coming up with Wiltshire, Dorsets, Cheshire, Berkshire. It does mention Bedford House, so I know it is looking correctly. I do not know if this chap only concentrted on certain regiments (how could he?), but ?? no Bedfordshire at all? seems a bit suspect. But then, maybe not.

Perhaps other members will have a more knowledgeable view...

Susan.

ps: in the document Page 1 - it mentions lists of those not named at the end of the main index. - had a quick look - lots of reports of RN - only few army. Many of these were "Coolies" tried for Murder.

Military_Courts___page_1.txt

Edited by susanhemmings

Hello

Thanks for looking

Philips of the CG was the only man in the regiment shot for desertion in ww1

Ian

Thanks for adding the details Susan - looks like one for the Xmas list

Charles

Glad to be of assistance.

susan

Just purchased CD - Military Courts

Royal Navy 1911 - 1965

(Royal Air Force 1941 - 1994) - wrong period for this forum really

Army 1879 - 1986

Soldiers Executed 1914 - 1920

Shot at Dawn (Western Front) 1914 - 1920

lists names - reason (why) and dates. etc.

lookups offered.

please

can you look up for me any field general court martial held for one Pte 28705 James Rolland of the

2d bn Kings Own Scotish Borderers probably around April / May 1917

thanks in advance.

sorry flagstare - nothing on either part of dasc

susan

Have you any data on the Connaught Rangers mutiny in 1920?

regards.

Tom.

Tom,

Just one reference - typed in Connaught.

Pte JJ Daly 1st Connaught Rangers

4 September 1920

Court Martial for "Mutiny" - Notes: Plus 27

Shot by sentance of Court Martial Dagshai

WO 71 / 1030

WO 93 / 49

NB: not sure what Notes: Plus 27 means - presumably notes to others involved in mutiny??

This is all the info I have,

Hope this helps

Susan.