Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

paying the price

bernardmcilwaine

this family certainly had a costly war.

william and julia,annie souls of great rissington,gloucester,had five sons in 1914,by 1918 they had NON

alfred killed 20-4-18

arthur,william killed 25-4-18 [alfreds twin ]

walter,davis killed 2-8-16

albert killed 14-3-16

frederick,george killed 19-7-16

francis,ernest,edward souls killed 24-8-18 is thought to be a cousin,these are the only souls in the british army on the CWGC,is there any more with a particular surname that are all from one family,bernard

There a 5 Taylor brothers from Leatherhead who died during the Great War. One each are on the Thiepval Memorial and Menin Gate. Another 2 are buried on the Somme and near Ypres. The fifth is buried in our local churchyard with a CWGC headstone.

A sixth lost a leg in battle and a seventh came home unscathed - except perhaps mentally ?

My Grandfather lost three Brothers:

Arthur Aldolphus Vanhinsbergh 15th Feb 1915 1/KOYLI

Charles Henry{Stanley} VHB 01st Jul 1916 2/KOYLI

Peter David Vanhinsbergh 22nd Aug 1918 13/RB

Frederick J.Vanhinsbergh Discharged Neurasthenia 1918.

And two Cousins:

Peter Vanhinsbergh RFA KiA

Alic[Alex] Vanhinsbergh South Staffordshire Regiment KiA

The rest came through,& there were a few of them,but @ a cost,which basically shattered the Family

this family certainly had a costly war.

william and julia,annie souls of great rissington,gloucester,had five sons in 1914,by 1918 they had NON

alfred killed 20-4-18

arthur,william killed 25-4-18 [alfreds twin ]

walter,davis killed 2-8-16

albert killed 14-3-16

frederick,george killed 19-7-16

francis,ernest,edward souls killed 24-8-18 is thought to be a cousin,these are the only souls in the british army on the CWGC,is there any more with a particular surname that are all from one family,bernard

I think the Soul family will be in Hislop's program (I may have read this in the Radio Times write-up)

On one of my local memorials, a family of eight brothers enlisted. Only four returned home.

One of our fellow forum members has an excellent website dedicated to the men of Great Rissington who fell during WW1.

A link to one of the pages about the Souls brothers can be found Here

According to Ian Hislop when he was on the Parkinson show the Souls brothers will be part of the programme.

Edited by SteveE

All the ones on the CWGC website with my surname are my father's brothers and cousins.

I guess Buck Palace got to write quite a few letters like this one copied below...

[Copy]

Buckingham Palace,

5th October 1915

Sir,

I have the honour to inform you that the King has heard with much interest that you have at the present moment five sons serving in the Army.

I am commanded to express to you the King's congratulations, and to assure you that His Majesty much appreciates the spirit of patriotism which prompted this example, in one family, of loyalty and devotion to their Sovereign and Empire.

I have the honour to be, sir,

Your obedient servant

THOMAS PONSONBY

Keeper of the Privy Purse.

To Mr Thomas Nash,

No. 1 British Row,

Stoke Works.

William and Ann Manktelow of Lamberhurst had 14 children

They lost 3 sons, Albert Frederick and John and 5 grandsons, George (awarded an MM) Herbert, Horace, Charles (Maitland) and William (Maitland).

William and Ann were my 5th cousins x3 removed (William had died in 1902, and so was spared the pain of it all)

It wasn't just families with sons overseas that were hit badly either.

Take, for example, the Kingston family from SE London who lost 8 (aged between 5 and 18) in the Gotha raid of 19/20th October 1917.

Dave.