Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ypres...

roel22

Trench-warfare was practically 'invented' around Ypres. I was just wondering: has the fighting ever reached towns or villages? I know many of them were shelled to dust, but has there ever been serious house to house-fighting in this region?

regards

Roel

Edited by roel22

As to Boezinge (north of Ypres) : not really house-to-house, but very close.

When German troops right after the gas attack (22 April 1915) tried to cross the Ypres Canal. (In vain. That was not really in the centre, but quite close, on the edge of the built-up area.

They did cross the canal though, for a few days, at Steenstrate, and moved to Lizerne, a hamlet 3 km north of the centre of Boezinge. There was house-to-house fighting there indeed.

Aurel

I'd say that almost house to house fighting took place in many villages of the salient, especially during 1st Ypres - Gheluvelt, Wijtschaete, Messines are three that immediately spring to mind.

Dave.

(PS. Trench warfare practically "invented" around Ypres? - I think that's highly debateable!!! :D )

I guess there would have been house to house fighting when Passchendaele was taken, if any houses had survived.

Thanks to all for your replies!

And Dave: I realize 'invented' is a bit 'over the top' (haha)

Let's say Ypres was amongst the first?

regards

Roel

Let's say Ypres was amongst the first?

Roel - as long as its further qualified with "amongst the first in the Great War."

;)

Andy

Roel - as long as its further qualified with "amongst the first in the Great War."

Deal!

Roel