Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Western Front

tonycad

Unlike much of Salient and Somme battlefields which were mostly reclaimed for agriculture, large areas of the Verdun and St Mihiel sectors of the French battlefields were allowed to scrub over and to develop into woodlands.

These woodlands today hide extensive areas of the former trench lines, and here are some remaining examples.

1. The first photograph is typical of the trenches hidden away in the woods.

Tony

2. A concrete lined trench in known as the Tranchee du Soif, the Trench of Thirst, scene of heavy fighting in May 1915.

However, I do not know if the concrete was laid before this time, or later.

3. A trench cut through rock.

4. The trenches have many shelters have many bunkers built into them.

5. This trench's parapet side appears to be built of dry limestone blocks.

6. In the Bois le Petre many of the trenches remain almost untouched, except for the passing of time, and this photograph shows the barbed wire still in place, being held by the original staunchions.

post-4728-1133386507.jpg

post-4728-1133386701.jpg

post-4728-1133386816.jpg

post-4728-1133386978.jpg

post-4728-1133387077.jpg

post-4728-1133387236.jpg

Many thanks to Tonycad for the interesting photos, it's just a shame that it is further from the channel ports than the Somme otherwise I think the attraction for British visitors would be greater seeing so much of the original trenchwork and positions in an untouched state.

If anyone else has photos of this area drop them onto the forum I'm sure a lot of people would be interested in seeing them.

Regards, Tom