Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

SDGW

Mike McCarthy

War memorial in Higham Church shows;

H E Charlton KRR but cannot find him in CWGC.

Oddly there is a scroll in the church identifying men who served which includes

H E Charlton RFA

H Charlton KRR

Can anybody assist with info on whichever of the Charltons were killed, especially next of kin or home address.

Thanks

Mike

3 H E Charlton's listed, but none in the RFA.

0 H Charlton's listed in the KRRC.

:(

War memorial in Higham Church shows;

H E Charlton KRR but cannot find him in CWGC.

Oddly there is a scroll in the church identifying men who served which includes

H E Charlton RFA

H Charlton KRR

Can anybody assist with info on whichever of the Charltons were killed, especially next of kin or home address.

Thanks

Mike

First question, where is Higham Church?

There are ten men listed on SDGW with the name "H.CHARLTON" , there of these with initials "H.E". Of those ten none served in the KRRC (I assume taht's what you mean by KRR). Only one served in the RFA. He was Hercules Charlton, DOW 16/9/1916, born Reading, enlisted Oxford Serj. 33955.

If you think that might be your man, I'll leave you to check on CWGC.

Regards,

Chris.,

Thanks pals,

You have both reached the same conclusion, which is partly good as it means I am not going ga ga.

Higham is a small village in North Kent just off the M2 near Gravesend. I had been researching another soldier Henry Clare (all OK with him).

Higham had a CLB company in the early 1900's and I wanted to see if the other KRRC enlistees had also joined 16/KRRC as had Henry. H E Charlton is the first KRRC listed but I have hit the same brick wall. Either the war memorial is incorrect and H Charlton of the RFA ( Sjt Hercules Charlton) is the correct one, (but as you say Chris his kin were not in Kent) or there is another story.

Thanks anyway. Kew awaits!

post-7003-1133393711.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hi Mike

I live in Gravesend and have been researching the war memorials and men listed on them for the last six years.

From my records both Clare and Charlton are only listed on Higham memorial and not on any others in Gravesend. Part of this is due to the fact that Higham at the time came under Strood district council and not as it is now Gravesham. So the local authority would have been situated in Strood and they (I believe) do not have a public memorial with names listed on.

I have searched the local papers for photographs - none, I have searched the death notice column - nothing. I have checked through my archive of letters and notices - nothing (this has not been fully completed as yet though).

What I will now do is take the dates of death for Clare and we can only presume Hercules Charlton and look at the papers more closely to see if there is anything listed in village news or such like.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Regards

Andrew

Mike

I've just been through a file that lists the Roll of Honour for Higham published in the Gravesend Reporter for 23rd January 1915 p.2 listed are both H. Clare and H. Charlton both shown as enlisted in the K.R.R. City of London Bn. there is also an F. Clare enlisted in the K.R.G.A.

Not much help but at least it backs up the memorial details.

Regards

Andrew