Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd BattalionDurham Light Infantry

draperju

Please can anyone help me to uncover more information about the whereabouts of the 2nd Battalion Durham Light Infantry, during Jan 1916 especially in the middle of the month around the 16th Jan.

Best wishes

Draperju

After the Battle of Hooge (9 - 10 August 1915), 2nd Battalion DLI remained in the Ypres Salient until July 1916, reverting to the routine of several days in the frontline followed by a similar number of days in support or reserve positions or in rest billets. That allowed men to be released for special training such as machine-gunnery and bomb throwing. Weather conditions made life difficult at times during the 1915 - 1916 Winter and the war diary records lots of health problems.

The end of 1915 found the battalion in billets at Poperhinge. Unfortunately, I cannot be precise about the battalion's location on or about 16 January but the men were back in rest billets at Poperhinge on 11 February.

If you live anywhere within reasonable distance of Durhamn City, the battalion's war diary is held by the Durham Record Office. It's now on microfiche, so you'd need to book a reader before journeying to Durham, to avoid disappointment. The DRO telephone number is 0191 -383 - 3253 or ... 3474. There's also a copy at the National Archives.

David T.

After the Battle of Hooge (9 - 10 August 1915), 2nd Battalion DLI remained in the Ypres Salient until July 1916, reverting to the routine of several days in the frontline followed by a similar number of days in support or reserve positions or in rest billets. That allowed men to be released for special training such as machine-gunnery and bomb throwing. Weather conditions made life difficult at times during the 1915 - 1916 Winter and the war diary records lots of health problems.

The end of 1915 found the battalion in billets at Poperhinge. Unfortunately, I cannot be precise about the battalion's location on or about 16 January but the men were back in rest billets at Poperhinge on 11 February.

If you live anywhere within reasonable distance of Durhamn City, the battalion's war diary is held by the Durham Record Office. It's now on microfiche, so you'd need to book a reader before journeying to Durham, to avoid disappointment. The DRO telephone number is 0191 -383 - 3253 or ... 3474. There's also a copy at the National Archives.

David T.

Thank you very much for your help

I am going down to Kew for the first time this week

hope to added to the imformation that you have been able to supply.