Looking for War Memorial in Essex

liverpool annie

Private Ephraim Warner

31487, 1st Bn., Essex Regiment

who died

on 14 April 1917

Remembered with honour

Arras Memorial

Ephraim Warner was born in 1894 in Steeple Essex, and his family lived in Great Dunmow. As far as I know, the family stayed around the Essex area Ephraim was killed in France in 1917 but we can't find him on any memorials - does anybody know if he is included anywhere?

Thanking you in advance

Annie

Annie - I'm not sure if he's on the Dunmow one as I don't have a list of names for it (yet!). However I'll go take a look on Friday and see if he's there. Do you have any addresses for the family when they were in Dunmow?

I've been retelling the story of Dunmow's war memorial in this thread

Kate

Annie - I'm not sure if he's on the Dunmow one as I don't have a list of names for it (yet!). However I'll go take a look on Friday and see if he's there. Do you have any addresses for the family when they were in Dunmow?

I've been retelling the story of Dunmow's war memorial in this thread

Kate

Kate!

Thank you so much for your reply!

One of the addresses was "The Causeway" no numbers or anything!! I'm trying for more ..... !

Thank you for the thread - that's so cool!

I appreciate your time Kate and I'll get back with more information if I can!

Annie :rolleyes:

Kate!

Thank you so much for your reply!

One of the addresses was "The Causeway" no numbers or anything!! I'm trying for more ..... !

Thank you for the thread - that's so cool!

I appreciate your time Kate and I'll get back with more information if I can!

Do you have a date for "The Causeway"? It's a longish Victorian terrace just outside of Dunmow town centre - can't remember the exact date it was built but I'll take a look on Friday (the date is on one of the bricks). There are other houses in The Causeway but not that many. I'll try and get a snap of the terrace for you.

Kate

Hi Kate!

I sent you the other addresses but this Causeway one - is way too early - 1851!!

Keeping the fingers crossed you might find something!

I appreciate your help!!

Annie

Hi Kate!

I sent you the other addresses but this Causeway one - is way too early - 1851!!

Keeping the fingers crossed you might find something!

I appreciate your help!!

Annie

Hi Annie,

I've just been to the War Memorial and there's an Edward Warner listed but no Ephraim.

The Causeway terrace is dated 1894 however there are older houses in the same road (I originally thought it was just the terrace). Some of the finest houses (& oldest) in Dunmow are on the Causeway including "The Clockhouse" - picture below.

If it's from the census of 1851, do you have any house names/numbers either side of your family?

Kate

post-2231-1133523947.jpg

Kate !

Thank you for going out of your way for me - I really appreciate it! can I send a donation to the Memorial at all in your name - for all your work ?

Wish we lived in THAT house !! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I think Edward was a cousin of Ephraim's !! I looked at Southminster too - see below!!

Bob!

I took your advice and looked up Southminster AND found the Memorial and a E Warner listed!!

I'm assuming that is him - I hope so!! do you have the entry for him in SDGW ?

Here's a weird thing - Ephraim married a "Flack" and there is a "Flack also on the memorial - wonder if it's the same family - or were there loads of "Flacks" ..... ??

Thanks to you both!

Annie

Private Ephraim Warner

31487, 1st Bn., Essex Regiment

who died

on 14 April 1917

Remembered with honour

Arras Memorial

Ephraim Warner was born in 1894 in Steeple Essex, and his family lived in Great Dunmow. As far as I know, the family stayed around the Essex area Ephraim was killed in France in 1917 but we can't find him on any memorials - does anybody know if he is included anywhere?

Thanking you in advance

Annie

Hello. Out of curiosity, I tried putting Warner into http://www.channel4.com/lostgeneration. It came up with some Warners but not an Ephraim.

Does anyone know how good the data is on the www.channel4.com site?

Howard

do you have the entry for him in SDGW ?

Annie

Here you go

Glyn

post-5500-1133552470.jpg

Annie

Bingo !

post-5500-1133610865.jpg

Annie.

I have just sent all the details and photographs of the Southminster War Memorial to Martin Edwards for his site www.roll-of-honour.com for inclusion. If you contact him I am sure he will be able to let you know if the name is on the memorial and let you have a picture of the memorial.

Andy

Hi Andy!

Is this your photo?

http://static.flickr.com/35/69424038_59ac2ba6b0_o.jpg

It's not on the site yet but I obtained it in such a roundabout way - I can't remember how I got it!!

If this is yours I'll certainly credit you with it !! There is an E Warner on there - I'm thinking this is him as Edward Warner is on the Great Dunmow!

Thanks for telling me - I appreciate it!

Annie

This must be the Edward Warner on the Dunmow memorial (from CWGC)

Name: WARNER, EDWARD

Initials: E

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Machine Gun Corps (Infantry)

Unit Text: 14th Bn.

Date of Death: 21/03/1918

Service No: 55461

Additional information: Son of the late Henry Charles and Sarah Warner; husband of Rosa Warner, of Philpot End, Great Dunmow, Essex.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Panel 90 to 93.

Cemetery: POZIERES MEMORIAL

Can you tie him/his parents into your family Annie?

Kate

Kate !

Thank you for all your input - I'm still trying to find out about Edward - thinking he's a cousin!!

but I'll give you an update!! - when I know - you'll know!! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Thanks again!

Annie

Hi Annie,

That's one of the photo's I took, there are a few more with close ups of the names and the church scroll.

Andy

Hi Andy!

That was the only one I found and I was thrilled to get that!!

I'll keep checking the site for the others - thanks a lot!!

Annie

Annie,

Finally found the pictures of Southminster in a hidden file :lol:

post-1871-1133661790.jpg

Annie,

No problem, and here is the face of the memorial with the marriage connection of Flack

post-1871-1133710147.jpg

The Roll in the Church, which confirms Ephraim, if you cannot see it in the downsized picture let me know and I will e mail the full size off to you.

Andy

post-1871-1133710456.jpg

The Roll in the Church, which confirms Ephraim, if you cannot see it in the downsized picture let me know and I will e mail the full size off to you.

Andy

My eyes are going "gozzy" Andy!

I'd love the big size please!!

Annie,

All sent for you, hope they came out ok.

Andy