Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

More Strange Occurances

Rodge Dowson

I am starting in ernest now with research into things that are 'Not all quiet on the Western Front', if I get enough material I will try and get the stories together for publication. If anyone would like to contirbute stories of their own experiences with strange events on the battlefields please would they write to;

Rodge Dowson, 1, PINFOLD COTTAGE, HIGH ST., NAWTON, NORTH YORKSHIRE, YO62 7TS.

I am also looking for photos relative to the subject and exact information as to times, location, conditions - the time of year etc. when the event or experience took place. I think this type of material put together properly could make very interesting reading.

Many Thanks

Rodge

A great idea for a book. I could post some messages in French on other sites to see if any locals have had any similar experiences.

Rodge, What a fab idea!

I am pretty sure that there a re a few books out there about soldiers spooky experiences durring the war (in fact I know there are cos I have a few at home some where) but I have never come across a book written specificly about visitors experiences - I for one will be at the front of the Q to purchase come the day of publication :D

If you ever need to print up proofs to tout to publishers, please feel free to give me a yell (off forum) as I run a print and design unit and can provide printing and proof binding facilities should you wish to use them - same goes to any other budding authors out there.

Fleur

Fleur makes a good point - the possible inclusion of soldiers' own stories, premonitions, etc. I'm sure forum members should be able to remember reading about quite a few of these, and could possibly look them up for Rodge, or keep an eye open for them in future reading.

Me - I visit the WF a lot. I've never seen or heard anything inexplicable, or felt uneasy or scared, day or night.

Tom

Will Bird refers to two strange encounters with his brother Steve who was posted as missing believed KIA. In both instances his brother leads him away from danger. The first is from a dugout that is later pulverised by a direct hit. His mates find him asleep later on and are surprised as they have been frantically digging for him. The second is later on towards the end of the war, he is again led away from a cellar and minutes later his mates are killed as a man accidently discharges his Enfield into a bag of mills bombs.

Thanks to all for the support and responses to this idea, many visitors/guides/researchers I have met on the W/Front have some type of story to tell in this area.

One chap told me, once he had parked his campervan across the road from the bar/tabac near Delville Wood, he had some friends with him, when they came out of the bar later that evening, the owner of the vehicle said to the others " O.K. not funny who's done that!" - He told me that the base of the van was covered in what seemed to be piled up sand-bags, one of the other on lookers also saw it, on approaching the vehicle these sand bags all seemed to disapeer at once, he said they had not had many drinks - him especially as he was driving on that evening.