Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Engineers Signal Service

Raster Scanning

I have a particular interest in this service as my Gt Uncle served in Gallipoli and on the Western Front as a Signaller.

Has anyone else done research into this branch of the REs?

He was with the Western Signal Service and in his diary for 4th Jan 1915 he states "Left Mason St 6.15 for Southill" I was told that the HQ of the Western Signal Service was in Mason St, Edge Hill, Liverpool. Can anyone confirm this and does the building still exist?

John.

I can't confirm whether or not the building still exists but the unit was a Territorial Unit belonging to the West Lancashire Divisional Engineers at the address you have mentioned.

Prior to the outbreak of war it consisted of the following units:

Western Command Telegraph Coys - 44 Mason St, Edgehill. Liverpool

Western Wireless Telegraph Company

Western Air-Line Telegraph Company

With regards to the last unit, The Territorial Year book, 1908 has this to say "There was great difficulty in obtaining Post Office Telegraphists and Linesmen, owing to them having to pay a substitute whilst in Camp - except when they take the period from their annual leave."

Terry Reeves

Thanks Terry.

I think he was working for the railways before the war as a signaller of some sort. He had an interesting war attached to the 2nd ANZAC Corps as part of the Corp Signal Section, he appears to have spent most of his time with the NZ HQ. his Gallipoli diary makes interesting reading (went ashore with the first men at ANZAC to set up the first communications, he was one of the last off on December 13th).

John.