Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Vimy

paul guthrie

There were 13 subways used by Canadians there. Is Grange the one that's open? Are there definite plans to open more? Is the memorial at the highest point, i.e. Hill 145 as I think? Thanks.

Hello, Paul,

Yes - the Grange Subway is the one that visitors see.

The Memorial is on Hill 145, the highest point of the ridge.

Not sure if they are planning to open any more tunnels to the public but there is often work going on to locate them for various reasons. One such that I've heard of is that they used part of the tunnel system to dump surplus stone when the memorial was built, and now they wish they could find it to use it for renovation work!

Tom

Sorry to sound a bit thick but i'm not familiar with these 'subways' - Are you talking literally about an underground railway system which the Canadians used in & around Vimy Ridge??

Will

No Will, they're the tunnels the Canadians dug as part of the preparation for their attack on April 9th 1917. Many of them were used to get men to and from the front-lines in relative safety. "Subway" is the word the Canadians often use in their literature about Vimy.

The "Grange Subway" - replacing the Grange Communication Trench - is open to visitors to Vimy.

Tom

John W posted links to 2 interesting articles, on mines at Vimy, that you can download. Both are worth reading and the article "The Conquest of 'O' Sector under the Vimy Ridge" has a great map of the mine locations in the area. You can find a link to the thread here.

Garth

The guided tour through the Grange Tunnel with the very keen and knowledgable young Canadian guides is very well worth it.

I found it a fascinating experience.

Bob.

Paul

If you are interested in the tunnels and mines on Vimy would recommend the video "One of our mines is missing". The video relates the discovery of unexploded mines under Vimy. I would certainly recommend it and I believe it

is available on NTSC in the US but not certain. Try this site:

http://www.fougassefilms.co.uk/

Regards

Geoff

Thanks Geoff. I have been through Grange several times. One interesting thing about the Vimy Memorial is there are always many French there. I am happy to see that. I have seen very large crowds at the Lorette complex but other than those I have rarely seen many at their cemeteries and battlefields and I have been to all areas.

Paul

Yes there are always a lot of French up on Vimy. I think a lot of locals use the area for cycling and jogging. Also there is a French (Moroccan?) memorial up there from the 14/15 period when the French tried several times to take the ridge. Maybe thats what brings them to the area.

Geoff

they're the tunnels the Canadians dug as part of the preparation for their attack on April 9th 1917.

Tom,

When I visited Vimy earlier in the year, I am sure the guide said the tunnels were mainly dug by the British. Can anyone clarify who done all that incredible work

Steve