Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

French Civil Unrest

Roy Evans

After attracting major headlines a short while ago, there is now no longer any interest by the british media. Can anyone advise if things are now back to normal? I ask because we are in Arras in a few days time.

Roy

After attracting major headlines a short while ago, there is now no longer any interest by the british media. Can anyone advise if things are now back to normal? I ask because we are in Arras in a few days time.

Roy

You can google french newspapers.

You can google french newspapers.

Thanks Tom,

I have some German and my other half has Welsh but neither of us has French.

Roy :)

Hello

No more serious problems.

Regards

Thanks TD60, that will set her mind at rest.

Roy

Thank you Marco, just what I wanted To Hear! :(

Roy :D

You can't trust the French papers on this. I've heard that much of the rioting has been censored and there has been almost no video coverage on French television. This has been done so as not to encourage more acts of violence.

Gunner Bailey

You can search by country on the travel section of the Foreign Office website. It's at the top of the menu on the left hand side.

In summary, this says that the trouble has largely subsided but the state of emergency is still in force and some areas may be subject to curfew.

Gwyn

I think Amiens had a curfew, but I am not sure if it is still in force. If you lived outside the high-rise estates on the outskirts of all the big cities, all this would have passed you by.

As the one who originated this thread, I am happy to report that we have this afternoon got safely back from Arras.

Our car was left in Place des Heros for three nights with no problems at all, can't speak for the rest of the country though.

Roy

There was an waful lot of coverage of the riots on French TV if they were being censored! Think around half of each evening's news bulletin.

I haven't seen anything and a bloke I was talking to about trouble in my nearest French city said that he was on one of the big estates appearing in a drama production. It was only the following evening when he saw the news that he discovered that they had apparently been in the middle of riots! He said that they had seen and heard nothing, no cars were touched and the theatre was packed.

Most French people say the same. The whole thing was very restricted to very smalll areas.

There was an waful lot of coverage of the riots on French TV if they were being censored! Think around half of each evening's news bulletin.

I haven't seen anything and a bloke I was talking to about trouble in my nearest French city said that he was on one of the big estates appearing in a drama production. It was only the following evening when he saw the news that he discovered that they had apparently been in the middle of riots! He said that they had seen and heard nothing, no cars were touched and the theatre was packed.

Most French people say the same. The whole thing was very restricted to very smalll areas.

Absolutly !