Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Strange Notation

Max

Hello Everyone

Whilst checking out the medal index cards at the PRO the other day I came across the card for Rifleman Arthur Glew which was notated in the style shown . Could anyone please tell me what the symbol in front of the Yorkshire LI means and also what does the prefix 10/ to the service number denote.

Best regs

Andy

post-1-1061203179.jpg

Hello Michael

In this case Arthurs 1914-15 Star , BWM and VM are referenced in the Rifle Brigade medal rolls.

The only other clue I have is a Divisional order that shows the order of march for 3 brigades. The symbol is against the top brigade, the 2nd brigade has a cross with a circle around it and the 3rd just has a cross.

Thinking on the fly, maybe it is a way of showing the order in which things are to be done or have been done. For instance, Arthur was in two different regiments during his service. These are listed on the medal roll index cards. To show which battalion he served with first, you couldn't put 1st next to the regiment, because this may be mistaken for the battalion that he had served with. Therefore a notation system would be appropriate. Does this make sense? :blink: .

Andy

Andy

If a soldier served in more than regiment, his medal roll will be the one he last served with. You may find he is also listed in the 14/15 star roll for the first regiment. His medals would be inscribed with the first regiment for which his service was eligible.

This is what I have found with the chaps I've looked at.

Michael

I had quite forgotten that symbol until I saw this thread. When I was at school, rather a long time ago, we were told this was how to hand-write an asterisk. It seemed excessively fussy to me, then as now, and I always write an asterisk as three crossed lines. I think the symbol is meant to represent an asterisk of four crossed lines. My theory, made up on the spot, is that any attempt to write four crossed lines with a spavined nib and an inkwell would inevitably result in a blob, hence the form of lines and dots.

So maybe it's just an asterisk, written to call attention to something that only the writer knows. I have been rambling .... sorry.

Thanks Clive

The asterisk proposition is very interesting and very likely the solution as it dovetails with what Michael said.

Thanks Jock

The 10/KOYLI idea is what I was thinking as well. It fits nicely with the "date in theatre" given on the card of 11/9/15 as this is when 10/KOYLI arrived in France, just in time for Loos.

Andy

The X doesn't indicate the Bn number I'm afraid. There are loads of MIC's with this annotation. The dots are important as well. Not that this helps solve the problem at all of course. I was told once but my brain has failed me. I have a contact. Will be in touch.

Terry Reeves

Max

There are usually two of these asterisks on a MiC - one against the medal roll reference and one against a rank/number. As I understand it, and as Michael has said, this is what is engraved on the medal.

Have you actually looked at the medal rolls? - even if the 15 Star roll reference is a RB roll you will probably find he is recorded in the roll as having qualified for the medal in 10 KOYLI.

Jock

Hello Jock

No, I haven't seen the actual roll. I just didn't have time to do so on Saturday. I just had a glance at the index card. Next time I will certainly be checking.

Andy