Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

MIC - Training Reserve Battalion query

kinnethmont

Does anyonne know what a Training Reserve Batttalion was. Below are the MIC details of a man enlisted Aberdeen and KIA with the Seaforths in July 1918. Was he put there on call up and when later posted to the Seaforths one of their numbers issued?

Description Medal card of Duncan, George

Corps Regiment No Rank

Seaforth Highlanders S/26380 Private

Training Reserve Battalion 1/2723 Private

Date 1914-1920

Catalogue reference WO 372/6

On Soldiers Died he is shown as Formerly TR1/2723 T.R.

Roughly (and hope to be corrected if I am wrong), after the introduction of Conscription, training of new recruits was done first in Training Reserve Battalions, and after basic training, soldiers would be posted to other units. In 1917 the denomination/organization of TRBs changed as the soldiers would be distributed in different units depending on their ages.

I found an interesting short article on the subject of TRBs -in pdf format- about the subject in a medal collectors website the site seems to be no longer there, so I could send you the PDf via e-mail if you are interested (It truly explains the matter better than I do)

Gloria

Kinnethmont,

The Training Reserve was formed on 1st September 1916 and basically the regimental reserve battalions based within the Command and Regimental Districts were brought together as Training Reserve Battalions and the men in theory should have been drafted as reinforcements to units within that Command. Sadly as the war progressed the theory went out of the window and you could ineffect supply reinforcement drafts to just about anyone who needed them.

The TR had a unique numbering system which identifies the area from which you are being recruited and was written as TR/?/????. So the number you have is slightly wrong as it should have been TR/1/2723.

This is what it means;-

TR/ = Training Reserve

1/ = No.1 District, which was part of Scottish Command and the units which served that Command were;- The Black Watch; Seaforth Highlanders; Gordon Highlanders; Cameron Highlanders and Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders.

2723 = your man's regimental number within the TR.

Looking through my records your man had served in one of the battalions in the 9th(Reserve)Bde, which was made up of the following units;-

11th(Reserve)Bn, Black Watch which became 38th Training Reserve Bn.

10th(Res)Bn, Seaforths which became 39th T.R.B.

8th(Res)Bn, Camerons which became 40th T.R.B.

13th(Res)Bn, Argylls which became 41st T.R.B.

11th(Res)Bn, Gordons which became 42nd T.R.B.

So your man served in one of the above Battalions. On being transferred to another unit he would have received a new regimental number of the unit he was serving with.

Graham.

Chris

Thanks for the info, I have read it now. A blunder indeed not searching the Forum first.

Graham

Does it follow he was in the 10th(Res)Bn, Seaforths which became 39th T.R.B. before ending up in the 8th Seaforths or could he have been in any one of the five District 1 T.R. Battalions mentioned?