Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help needed tracing American soldier

olosangus

I am trying to help a friend trace which unit of the Anerican Expeditionery Froce his grandad served in 1 175 631 Sgt Moses B. Steinberg served in the American army from dec7th 1917 until 15th Dec 1918. Unfortunately most of his service records appear to have been destroyed in a fire and so nothing much has been discoverd from Military personnel Records.

Any suggestions as to where to look would be appreciated - I don't suppose his service no. reveals anythng ?

Family history has it that he was in the Virginia National Guard and did his training in Texas which doesn't really tie up. The VNG became part of teh 29th Division but he is not on the roster for that division.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Simon

Simon - This is a complete shot in the dark, but I am researching some men on my local war memorial (in VA). One of the men was a 2nd Lt in the Army Air Corp which trained in Texas. Is it possible his grandfather was in the Air Corp?

Also check out this link...

http://www.lva.lib.va.us/whatwehave/mil/vmd/index.asp

it includes a cataloge of Virginia Military dead, but may include those who served and came home.

Good Luck.

BTW... where in VA?

Andy

Andy, the Virginia site you gave me had a copy of a questionaire that the man in question had apparently completed. Although the dates of service don't tie up with the certificate of military service that his family has. However, it does show servic with 609th Aero Supply Co as part of the signal corps at San Antonio and Waco Texas. He is also shown as having served at Gordon City Long Island from 15th June 1918 until 15th March 1919. Any idea what was there ?

This doesn't tie up with what the family believe, however, as they are certain that he served in France ?

Any other ideas greatfully received .

Thanks. Simon

"Gordon City" does not ring a bell. (I must explain that I was born and raised on Long Island. I assume that you mean the 100+ mile long island extending east from New York City.) However, that could actually mean all sorts of things, like a sector of a large military camp.

When I was young, there was an airfield called Mitchell Field (named most likely for General Billy Mitchell) on Long Island, which used to be military, before military aircraft needed lots more room. I also think there were aircraft manufacturers on Long Island. The field may still be there; I have rarely visited the immediate area in decades.

Bob Lembke

Picking up from Bob! - could it be Garden City Long Island ??

this site may be interesting to you!

http://glennhcurtiss.com/id41.htm

Annie :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Annie;

Yes, that must be it. Bravo! Garden City is a major place, and I think it is either near or is at where Mitchell Field was/is. Gordon City rang no bells at all. Possibly the air field was originally Curtiss's field for his aircraft plant.

Quite a nice site.

Bob Lembke

This doesn't tie up with what the family believe, however, as they are certain that he served in France ?

Simon - It may be a matter of comparing evidence... you have documentation placing him in the 609, on Long Island and with specific dates, possible/probably completed in the person's own hand writing. That seems very convincing as to what he was doing during the war.

This is only a thought, but why does the family think he was in France durning the war? It may sound like a stupid question, but as oral history proves- facts can get twisted. For example, someone says "my great grandfather was in WWI" someone else hears "My great grandfather was a soldier in France durning WWI".

Also many locations in the greater NYC area and Newport News, Va were embarkation points for troops headed overseas. Being stationed in the vicinity of those ports means he was getting ready to ship out.

Andy

Just to add, Long Island was quite the Hub for air service activity during the First World War along with Texas. So it's not surprising to have an aero-Long Island connection.

Best Regards,

Neil