Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RESTORATION BBC TV PROGRAMME

HERITAGE PLUS

BBC2 is currently showing a series called Restoration. Each week three projects for restoring proprties connected with our historical heritage are presented. Viewers can vote by telelphone for the project that they would like to receive funding to enable it to be completed.

Calls cost 30p with 17.9p going to funding the 'prize'.

Each Heat winner proceeds to the final when viewers can again vote for the project they wish to be the overall winner.

On Tuesday 19 Aug 03 at 9.p.m the programme includes the project to restore Arnos Vale Cemetery in Bristol.

This is a large Victorian cemetery originally privately opened and managed. After years of neglect and threats of sale for 'other purposes' the city council has compulsoraly purchased the site.

Local people of the Friends of Arnos Vale Cemetery are tryng to ensure that the cemetery is restored and maintained.

Sorry if this has seems long winded but to cut to the main thrust of this post:

The Cemetery contains many Military Graves dating from the Crimean War (including survivors of the Charge of the Light Brigade) and 15 listed buildings and monuments.

The Great War Interest is that there are over 250 graves of men who died in the Bristol War Hospitals in The Soldiers Plot plus a large memorial and the grave of Harry Blanshard Wood VC.

Please vote if you can on 0901 077 77 77

Dave

Bristol (Arno's Vale) Cemetery actually contains 356 WW1 Commonwealth war graves and 149 from WW2. Many of them are from Canada, Australia and NZ.

I'll vote for it.

Arnos Vale Cemetery did not win its 'heat'. Sadly it was beaten by a country house which has been a school and a hospital the viewers seem to be favouring this type of property.

Surely this really is the b****y end when we're relying on a telephone ballot to decide the fate of the last resting place of 300 + men who gave their lives for their country.

What has happened to this country of ours ?

Martin

I'm sure that the local action group will not let this set back stop them rasing the funds some how.

Dave

I voted for Arno's Vale Cemetery.....10 times :D. I really must get out more.

Seriously though, I agree with Martin B. It is a sad indictment of this country when it is left to a 'phone vote to decide if the graves of men and women who died for their country are saved.

The trouble is that cemeteries are not 'sexy' enough for the general public when compared to a stately home that is in rack and ruin <_<

Most of these cases have a valid reason to have money spent on them. Its a shame that we are throwing our heritage away.

These projects should be backed from the lottery fund. I'd sooner see this cemetery saved for future generations than pay an athlete a tidy sum to run around a track a couple of times a year. :angry:

Heritage Plus I would be grateful if you can keep us appraised of developments and hopefully future successes of the local action group via the forum. At least the RESTORATION programme has raised the cemetery's profile on a national basis. It would be scandalous for this cemetery to be lost to redevelopment.

Signals

I'll certainly keep the pals updated on this.

The Friends of Arnos Vale Cemtery have a website:

http://www.favc.freeserve.co.uk/