Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Difficulty Identifying 7 soldiers

Mark Crame

I might be asking a bit much, if so I do apologise. members of this board were very helpful with an earlier query, so I thought I might just try and continue the run of good luck....!

I am researching the names on the war memorial at the village I grew up in, and these names are giving me a spot of trouble. I have consulted the Norfolk Regiment SDGW, and the Norfolk Regimental Histories and have managed to get information on a lot of the men, but these ones are proving elusive. My local library has some SDGW, and the CD-Roms (new and old) but no way to access the latter as yet. So, to date I've used all the resources I have available to me (that i know of) locally. Hence my appeal to you. Please, if you can help on any of these names it would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Mark.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Name on memorial: Harry Meen

Closest CWGC / SDGW:

14455 Corporal Harold Aubrey Meen

9th Battalion, Norfolk Regiment. Born in London, Harold enlisted in Norwich and was killed in action on 26th September 1915. Remembered with honour on the Loos Memorial.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Name on memorial: William Revell

Closest CWGC / SDGW: None convincing

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Name on memorial: Ernest Patrick

Closest CWGC / SDGW:

202000 Private Ernest Frank Patrick

2nd Battalion, Essex Regiment died on 28th March 1918.

or

8th Battalion, Norfolk Regiment. Patrick was born in Great Yarmouth (9 miles from Haddiscoe) and enlisted at Norwich. He was killed in action on 17th February 1917. He is remembered with honour at Stump Road Cemetery, Grandcourt.

It is believed Ernest Patrick *MAY* have died at Gallipoli. His brother died with the Norfolks in France.

Name on memorial: Harold Beevor

Closest CWGC / SDGW:

29321 Private Harold Beevor

1st/8th Battalion, Royal Warwickshire Regiment who died on 4th October 1917. Remembered with honour Tyne Cot Memorial.

HaroldBeevor.jpg

Dunno if that cap badge rings a bell with anyone, his brother died with the Norfolks in France.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Name on memorial: George Grimmer

Closest CWGC / SDGW:

14482 Serjeant George Grimmer MM

9th Battalion, Norfolk Regiment. George was born in Oulton, Suffolk (8 miles from Haddiscoe) and was killed as an Acting Serjeant on 4th December 1917.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Name on memorial: Geoffrey Buxton

Closest CWGC / SDGW: None Convincing

Name on memorial: Barry Flaxman

Closest CWGC / SDGW:

Trimmer Marcus Barry Flaxman

5046TS, HM Trawler Loch Ard, Royal Naval Reserve died on 10th September 1917. Remembered with honour Chatham Naval Memorial. Loch Ard was lost on this date in the British Isles.

Named on the memorial at Herringfleet, 4 miles away.

Name on memorial: Harold Beevor

Closest CWGC / SDGW:

29321 Private Harold Beevor

1st/8th Battalion, Royal Warwickshire Regiment who died on 4th October 1917. Remembered with honour Tyne Cot Memorial.

Mark

Sure this is your man as SDGW has him born in Haddiscoe, enlisted Wroxham, residing in Loddon.

Glyn

Mark

I have just checked SDGW and found:-

Williams Edward Revell, Private 21297 8th Btn Border Regiment

Born Bunwell Norfolk

Enlisted Norwich

Lived Haddiscoe Norfolk

Formerly 19182 Norfolk regiment

Killed in action 5th of July 1916

Commemorated on the Thiepval Memorial

Hambo

You are brilliant, thank you SO much.

As a sort of thank you in kind, from the limited knowledge I have of WW1 (my specialty is 609 squadron in WW2) I have placed something up here:

There is a picture of Harolds brother, Victor as well.

Many thanks to you both,

Mark

Mark,

Harold Beevor served in the Norfolk Regt No 45285

BUXTON

Initials: J

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Army Service Corps

Unit Text: G.H.Q. Res. Coy. Mechanical Transport

Date of Death: 23/10/1918

Service No: M2/106034

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Plot 6. Row C. Grave 8.

Cemetery: MONTECCHIO PRECALCINO COMMUNAL CEMETERY EXTENSION

National Archives give his first name as Jeffrey

Regards Charles

Mark

Don't know if this tallies with what you've got but I count 11 men listed on SDGW either born or lived in Haddiscoe. This of course is only other ranks as SDGW doesn't give place of birth etc for officers

It's very common to have men who lived or were born in a village who are for some reason not listed on their memorial. I have 5 on mine

Hambo

Thanks Charles. I assume you mean Harold served with the Norfolks prior to transfer, and a new number, yes? Thanks also for details on Jeffrey.

Hambo, I have the following names from the memorial / Roll of honour:

Harold Meen

Ernest Patrick

Victor Beevor

Leonard Culley

Harry Hayden

Isidore Youngs

William Revell

Harold Beevor

Walter Stannard

George Grimmer

Absalom Flaxman

Reginald Randlesome

Barry Flaxman

George Haines

William Patrick

Leonard Haines

Harry Grimmer

Geoffrey Buxton

Harry Baldry

William Mills

Added in 1931 (why?) are: Edward Jennis, Charles Grimmer and Cecil Pitcher. There are also a couple of names that aren't on the memorial but on the Roll of honour or one plaque or the other and vice versa. It's a bit of a mess to be honest. 1 memorial, two plaques (church and chapel) and a roll of honour to be precise. I've kind of narrowed it down to a comprehensive list (I think) as some seem to be from neighbouring villages. I'm about a fortnight into my research and have put together about 16 pages so far. To my knowledge there was no-one above the rank of Serjeant from the village. I'll post the lot once it's narrowed down. Neighbouring villages are Toft Monks and Thorpe, but perhaps St Olaves could have crept in.

Mark

I also have

Alec Cushion born Haddiscoe 5th Battalion Suffolk Regiment DOW 18.10.17 Egypt

John Stone born in Haddiscoe 17th Battalion Royal Fusiliers KIA 13.11.16 France

Robert Garwood born in Haddiscoe 1st Battalion Suffolk Regiment KIA 24.5.15 France

I can let you have the details if you're interested and members of the forum can supply details of the actions they died in if you're after more details

If you want any more let me know but in the meantime I'm being summoned to bed by an increasingly impatient missus!!

Hambo

YES PLEASE!!!

(Does my enthusiasm show through?!)

Robert Garwood, name rings a bell. Don't know why.

Edited to add, I would be very pleased if you would be so kind as to let me have all the SDGW details for Haddiscoe dead if it's not too much trouble.

CWGC Details added. Alec / Alick Cushion and 24th April / May date given for Garwood. Great Yarmouth would have been the next major town, so presumably the family had moved there by then. No photos of the 3 on the Norfolk County Council website unfortunately (Mills, Hayden and Youngs wree on there).

Alec Cushion born Haddiscoe 5th Battalion Suffolk Regiment DOW 18.10.17 Egypt /

240288 Private Alick Cushion, "B" Coy. 1st/5th Bn., Suffolk Regiment. died age 19

on 18 October 1917. Son of Mr. and Mrs. W. Cushion, of 13, Stanley Rd., Great Yarmouth. Remembered with honour Gaza War Cemetery

John Stone born in Haddiscoe 17th Battalion Royal Fusiliers KIA 13.11.16 France /

490 Lance Corporal J W Stone, 17th Bn., Royal Fusiliers died on 13 November 1916 Remembered with honour Mailly Wood Cemetery, Mailly-Maillet

Robert Garwood born in Haddiscoe 1st Battalion Suffolk Regiment KIA 24.5.15 France /

16943 Private Robert James Garwood 1st Bn., Suffolk Regiment died on 24 April 1915

Best I start on the census once the initial stuff is wrapped up.....

Mark,

The BUXTON you are looking for is Second Lieutenant George Barclay BUXTON,

1 Squadron Royal Flying Corps. He was Killed in Action on the 28th July 1917, and is commemorated on The Arras Flying Services Memorial. He was ex 5th Battalion (TA) Norfolk Regt.

I will give you some details of a couple of the others who are on the memorial and a couple who are not at a later date.

Hope this help.

Pronto

Mark,

The BUXTON you are looking  for is Second Lieutenant George Barclay BUXTON,

1 Squadron Royal Flying Corps. He was Killed in Action on the 28th July 1917, and is commemorated on The Arras Flying Services Memorial. He was ex 5th Battalion (TA) Norfolk Regt.

I will give you some details of a couple of the others who are on the memorial and a couple who are not at a later date.

Hope this help.

Pronto

Thanks Pronto, but I have the casualty as Geoffrey Buxton - how do you match him to George please? I gather SDGW doesn't record Officers?

There is Jeffrey Buxton born at Hellington Norfolk who enlisted at Great Yarmouth

RASC who would seem a likely candidate if Hellington is anywhere near Haddiscoe

There is Jeffrey Buxton born at Hellington Norfolk who enlisted at Great Yarmouth

RASC who would seem a likely candidate if Hellington is anywhere near Haddiscoe

Just catching up with all new posts as the computer has been "off" -- bloody thing!! Hellington Corner is near Loddon, not far from Haddiscoe. We are researching our village war memorial (Bergh Apton) and Hellington Corner comes under our "catchment area" but have no knowledge, as yet, of Jeffrey Buxton. We would be grateful for any look ups for men from Bergh Apton who we may have missed. We have found a further five names to be added on our memorial pending verification of links to our village.

Lionboxer

PS Just a thought. Could be spelling mistake, Hillington with an"i" instead of "e" is near Swaffham, much further away.

Mark

I presume you've checked the Norfolk library site as it has pics of Harry Hayden and William Brunton with some personal stuff as well

regards

chris

Brunton was the photographer. Hayden, Youngs and Mills have all been 'extraxted' as it were, thanks. Do any other councils have this?