Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

"The Story of the Unknown Warrior"- Gavaghan

Patrick H

Just finished reading this book published in 1995 by Michael Gavaghan. Couldn't put it down. One of the most moving books I have ever read, plenty of photographs, and detailed accounts.

I know many will criticise "the establishment" particularly over the treatment of returning armies, but "they" appear to have given the unknown warrior all the attention, respect and dignity he, representing hundreds of thousands deserved.

If you havn't read it I would certainly recommend it.

One fact I learnt from the book - the 2 minutes silence was to represent 1 minute for those who survived and returned and the 2nd minute for the dead, I never knew that !

Patrick

One fact I learnt from the book - the 2 minutes silence was to represent 1 minute for those who survived and returned and the 2nd minute for the dead, I never knew that !

Patrick

Patrick

Nor did I

Thanks for that

Glyn

I agree with Patrick - an excellent little book and one of my favourites. I remember reading it for the first time and thinking, "Wow - I wish I could have written that.

A big surprise for me was learning how quickly everything was done, in a matter of days.

Tom

Tom , I agree about the shortness of time. I had 3 books in the post from you today. Ive already read 2 (well cant do much gardening at the moment!!) I have a feeling I am going to have to earn some more money somehow.

Patrick