Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Verdun 1916 by Malcolm Brown

StAubyns

I know nothing about the battles of Verdun, and whilst browsing in The Works bookshop came across this book " Verdun 1916" by Malcolm Brown, reduced from £16.99 to £3.99.

Is it a good first read on Verdun?

Geoff

I know nothing about the battles of Verdun, and whilst browsing in The Works bookshop came across this book " Verdun 1916" by Malcolm Brown, reduced from £16.99 to £3.99.

Is it a good first read on Verdun?

Geoff

English books on Verdun are not plentiful. I reckon for four quid it's got to be worth a chance. It is available on Amcomuk where it is compared unfavourably with Alistair Horne's " The Price of Glory". Have a go and then tell us what it's like.

• 2 weeks later...
English books on Verdun are not plentiful. I reckon for four quid it's got to be worth a chance. It is available on Amcomuk where it is compared unfavourably with Alistair Horne's " The Price of Glory". Have a go and then tell us what it's like.

I would say read "The Price of Glory," which is a much better book.

Paul

I agree with Paul. It was a disappointing book. My memory is that Verdun was interpreted as a symbol for the new France - most of the book seemed to describe how France had evolved to this point from catastrophe of the Franco-Prussian War. An interesting topic but not much detail about Verdun itself. And the value of the rest of the book was masked by a turgid writing style.

The Osprey book of Verdun gives a reasonable overview and limited details of some individual battles.

Robert

I would agree with Paul. Alistair Horne's book is a classic. Well-written by someone who has a thorough knowledge of French history, consdiering his other books TO LOSE A BATTLE (

Sorry for the 'double bill'.

Alistaire Horne's book is a classic, well-written and with a sense of humour. Horne has a thorough knowledge of French history. See also TO LOSE A BATTLE (on 1940), THE TERRIBLE YEAR (1870-1871) and his book on the colonial war(s) of last century.

I would also recommend Colette'EARTHLY PARADISE' (Penguin edtion) for a woman's point of view when thie writer was in or near Verdun in 1915 for the couleur locale.

For those who read German, German Werth's VERDUN is also a good buy.

Regards,

Fred

Regards,

Fred

Thanks for the tip Fred. Managed to pick it up on ABEbooks DE.

I know nothing of Verdun - but on the front cover -

"Triumphant...a haunting book" Richard Holmes.

"In association with the Imperial War Museum"

For £3.99 I thought it worth the gamble.

It may whet my appetite at least

Geoff

Sorry for the 'double bill'.

Alistaire Horne's book is a classic, well-written and with a sense of humour. Horne has a thorough knowledge of French history. See also TO LOSE A BATTLE (on 1940), THE TERRIBLE YEAR (1870-1871) and his book on the colonial war(s) of last century.

I would also recommend Colette'EARTHLY PARADISE' (Penguin edtion) for a woman's point of view when thie writer was in or near Verdun in 1915 for the couleur locale.

Regards,

Fred

Fred,

You hit the nail on the head with Werth's Verdun. It's an outstanding read, and begs for a translation.

I had some contact with groups about funding a translation, but the discussions really got nowhere. I finished a chapter, then set the project aside.

Paul