The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

search for imfo

Guest stickie

could anyone help with info on private 18339 private L wallbank, who died on25 september 1916 age 27. his grave is in our local cemetery , that is wilnecote in

tamworth. thank you j0hn

John

Have you looked on the CWGC database yet? Its at http://www.cwgc.org

It records the following information:

LEONARD WALLBANK

Private

"C" Coy. 17th Bn., The King's (Liverpool Regiment)

who died on

Monday 25 September 1916 . Age 27.

Son of John W. and Harriett Wallbank, of 50, Smithy Lane, Wilnecote.

Perhaps one of the other 'pals' could post any additional information from

Soldiers Died in the Great War (SDGW)

Regards

Mike S

This is an example of SDGW being wrong.

It says 'DoW F&F' which is obviously not strictly accurate as he died in UK. It also gives his number as 18330. (For the unfamiliar = Died of wounds France & Flanders).

Also says

Born & Enlisted in Tamworth. Residence in Wilnecote.

This casualty was not included in the original CWGC register for Staffs. In fact, the three other war graves in that cemetery were also omitted!

John

Have you been up to Tamworth Library yet to have a look at the copies of the "Herald" on microfilm? There may be a report about Private Wallbank's funeral that may give you additional information. As it happens, my Great-Grandad lived in "Wincot" in Shelton Street. His brother, L/Cpl John Thompson, 1/6th North Staffords, was killed in 1917 and is apparently commemorated on the village war memorial, but as yet I have not managed to get over there to check this.

Leonard Wallbank, is listed in the 'Casulaties' section of 'The History of the King's Regiment (Liverpool) 1914-1919' Vol. II by Everard Wyrall, as follows:-

12th Battalion - Wallbank, Leonard, 18330, Pte., d., 25/9/16.

Alan Seymour

Hi,

Wallbank is listed in the medal rolls as 12 KLR. Indeed he went to France on 24/7/15 the date of embarkation of 12 KLR. He enlisted in the KLR in Tamworth in the first week of Sept 1914 with at least two others from the area who also served with 12 KLR. I have no evidence in my records that he ever served with 17 KLR. Could 17 KLR be a mistranscription of 12 KLR either in the scanning process or from the next-of-kin forms?

Regards

Joe