Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Monte Video, Weymouth

chrisharley9

Whilst researching an Australian soldier of the AAMC I came across an entry relating to him being transferred from Abbey Wood to Monte Video, Weymouth - has any one got a clue what this is please - I thought initally that it was a ship, but I have my doubts.

All The Best

Chris

Monte Video was the name of the camp, over on the Wyke Regis side. It was formed about the middle of 1915, for the earliest Australian convalescents (from Gallipoli). It became one of the largest Australian Camps as the war progressed.

There is an Australia Road down in front of the current RE camp, not far from Chesil Beach, and I think that is where the Australian Camp was located.

Chris Henschke

Chris

Excellent - Many thanks for the answer - I had been pulling my hair out over that one

All The Best

Chris

Chris,

My mother and grandparents were from Weymouth.

My grandad told me that there was a large camp in the town where the Australians were based during the first war and on the council housing estate built after the war where they lived a lot of the roads were named after places in Australia and people relating to the Great War.

From memory I can think of Adelaide Street and Kitchener Road. The housing estate is on the Wyke side of Weymouth just off the Chickerall Road and I believe that it may have been the site of the camp hence the street names.

Before he passed away in 1992 my grandad put down his life story on tape. He was a military man having spent between 1924 to 1932 and 1939 to 1945 serving with the 12th Royal Lancers. I think he makes some reference to the Australian camp in one of the tapes. I will make the time to listen to them and let you know what he says if it is of interest to you.

Liam

When I was a lad in Weymouth Monte Video was a residential caravan park opposite Chickerell army camp and range. Australia Road is on the camp side of the main road, perhaps the camp extended to both sides of the road. Not that there would have been much of one at the time.

Another piece of Weymouth's history I was unaware of

Chickerel! That was the place I was thinking. I'll be chasing up a map of the camp soon, so may be able to find out exactly where it was.

I remember someone showing me a photograph taken the dfay the war ended. It was on the promenade, and there was a slouch hat on top of that statue of King George. The crowd was full of slouch hats.

Westham was another AIF camp close by.

Chris Henschke

Chickerel! That was the place I was thinking. I'll be chasing up a map of the camp soon, so may be able to find out exactly where it was.

I remember someone showing me a photograph taken the dfay the war ended. It was on the promenade, and there was a slouch hat on top of that statue of King George. The crowd was full of slouch hats.

Westham was another AIF camp close by.

Chris Henschke

Westham would fit in better Liam's post regarding Adelaide, Perth, Melbourne etc Rds as these are in Westham.

Chickerell