Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Women in the Great War

tonycad

This a contribution to the role of women in the great War in their role as nurses in the various units in which they served, as witnessed by their headstones.

Tony

1. Queen Alexander's imperial Army Nursing Service. Nursing Sister.

post-4728-1132950650.jpg

3. Canadian Army Medical Corps. Nursing Sister.

Did the Australian and New Zealand Armies have their own Medical Corps, and if so did they have Nursing Sisters

post-4728-1132951273.jpg

3. Canadian Army Medical Corps. Nursing Sister.

Did the Australian and New Zealand Armies have their own Medical Corps, and if so did they have Nursing Sisters

the answer to that is yes on both counts - most if not all of the NZ nurse casualties are on the Mikra Memorial

All The Best

Chris

4. Scottish Churches Huts.  Nursing Sister.

I dont think this lady was a nurse as the Scottish Churches Huts was an organisation more akin to the YMCA.

The Scottish Women's Hospital is what you should be looking for.

All The Best

Chris

Canadian Nurses could either be in the Canadian Army Nursing Service or the Canadian Army Medical Corps

Chris

Thank you for posting these beautiful photographs.

I encourage those of you with headstone photos for Canadians to contribute the photograph digitally to the Canadian Virtual Memorial (a government of Canada project) for permanent display.

For example, the record for Matilda Green is here.

Go to the spot where it says "CLICK HERE TO ADD TO THE COLLECTION". Upload your photo the same way you do on this forum, answer a few questions, and your photo is on its way. After a few weeks they will review the photo to be sure it matches the right casualty and then it will be on display to improve the record for Nursing Sister Green.

Relatives, descendents and researchers are very pleased to see this information.

chrisharley,

Sorry, my mistake. I should have realised this, when on looking at the headstone again I see that the lady from the Scottish Church Huts has no nursing title.

Tony

chrisharley,

Sorry,  my mistake.  I should have realised this, when on looking at the headstone again I see that the lady from the Scottish Church Huts has no nursing title.

Tony

With your permission may I use your photos on the Roll of Honour Medical database please - you will of course receive full credit

All The Best

Chris

Tony

Many thanks for your contribution

All The Best

Chris

• 1 month later...

Here is a new website related to Canadian Nurses in the Great War - Borden Battery

The Call to Duty - Canada's Nursing Sisters Jan 2006

This Library and Archives Canada exhibition tells the story of six women who served as nursing sisters during the First World War. "Active Duty" presents the personal diaries, letters and photographs of these women. "Caregiving on the Front" provides a history of nursing sisters during the First World War. Specific sections of the website include: Introduction, The Canadian Army Nursing Corps: Brief History of the Military Nursing Service, The Canadian Army Nurses: Who Were They, Enlistment, The Work of Military Nurses: Living Conditions, Working Conditions, Professional Relations and Social Life and Conclusion

[Recommendation by Nelson]

http://www.collectionscanada.ca/nursing-sisters/index-e.html