Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

14th Bn Welsh

annettecocomazzi

Hallo All

This is my first posting here so please be patient with me :blink:

I have managed to get my Grandfather's Medal Card from the NA and would like to get access to his military records. His name is David Wilson and the card states that his Corps was 14th Bn Welsh - Pte: 35329 and just below that - ditto - Sgt 35329. It also shows the medals he received. He was also awarded A SWB List ref: J/284/2. He entered the theatre of war in France on 24th December 1915. Under the remarks column it notes what I think says Dis 3-7-1918 but it is very faint. Sorry I am rambling on a bit, my question really is what regiment would be 14th Bn Welsh? I am completely green when is comes to the Military and would appreciate any suggestions on what steps I should take next as I am unable to go to Kew.

All suggestions welcome and thank you for taking the time to read this.

Regards

Annette

Hello Annette, and welcome to the Forum.

14th Bn Welsh means the 14th Battalion, Welsh Regiment.

They were unofficially known as the "Swansea Pals" and a book of the same title has recently been published , written by fellow Forum member, Bernard Lewis.

You can order a copy direct from the publisher at www.pen-and-sword.co.uk. It will probably tell you everything you need to know. It's a very good read even for folk like who have no particlar interest in the Battalion.

Other than that, can I suggest you have a look at the mother site. Click on to the Long Long Trail and look for the "research" section. it should tell you everything you need to know about what might be possible to find out. Good luck. And come back and ask anything you're still not sure of.

The date you mention that's in the remarks column is when he was discharged from the army. He was, most probably, wounded and this accounts for his SWB (Silver War Badge)

John

Thank you so much John for your prompt reply. This is my 2nd attempt at replying to your post (still feeling my way around). :( I have noted what you say and I will do as you suggest.

Many, many thanks yet again

Regards

Annette

Hi Annette. Can't recall seeing anything specific on David Wilson but as John says the book will certainly give you info on where he went and what he was involved in (thanks for the kind words, John, I'll have to put you on the payroll as my publicity manager!). There is a list at the back of the book of about a 1000 men (approx) who sailed for France early Dec 1915; not had time to check but it sounds as if DW might not be on that as he went a little later. I'll check over the weekend and post if he is there.

Would be pleased to recieve any photos, letters, stories etc. that might be with the family and will cover any copying costs. Hoping to do a revised edition - in 2016! so new stuff welcome.

Bernard

Hi Bernard

Thank you so much for that. My Grandfather was from Scotland but happened to be working in Wales when war broke out. I don't know if he enlisted or was called up. He is not spoken about much by my mother (87 years old) as he deserted the family when she was only 13 years old. Personally I keep an open mind on these things as there are always two sides to every story. I never knew my Grandad and would love to know more about him hence my interest in his military career. There is a photograph of him standing proud in his uniform with the family around him but my late Grandmother cut his head off (the photograph that is) :huh: He was one of three brothers who all fought in the Great War and all reached the rank of Sergeant. His brother Andrew was easy to find as sadly he died 3 weeks before the end of the war and the military was his career. He had been with the Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders since at least 1907 and had been posted to France even before the war. Doesn't seem fair does it? He was awarded the DCM posthumously so poor guy didn't even know he had earned it. The other brother is still a mystery and I have no clue as to what regiment he joined and with a name like John Wilson it would not be easy. I have combed the cwgc but nothing linking any of the John Wilsons listed there to my family.

Thanks again for your input

Annette

• 2 months later...

Hi all

Since I last posted regarding my Grandfather Sergeant David Wilson of 14th Welsh a little treasure has come to light. My brother (whilst doing a clear out) came across a little German Calendar booklet that my Grandfather had taken from a German soldier during WW1. On the first page he has written "38th Welsh Division captured Mametz Wood from Germans Mon 10th July". I am now confused - were the 14th and 38th the same regiment or could he possibly just have been noting that the 38th had captured Mametz Wood. I would upload a copy of this calendar but don't know how to sooooo - if SKS tells me how, and of course if anyone is interested, I will do so.

Thanks in advance

Annette Rogers

Hi Annette,

The 14th Battalaion Welsh Regiment were part of the 38th (Welsh) Division. In fact they were in the 114th Brigade along with the 10th/13th & 15th Battalions of the Welsh Regment. The rest of the division was made up of the Royal Welsh Fusiliers and the South Wales Borderers.

If you look under Army Organisation on this site it will give you further and more detailed info on what a division consisted of. Or alternatively go to http://www.warpath.orbat.com/divs/38_div.htm

Good luck with your research.

Regards

Martyn

Hi Annette. If at any time you were able to scan and upload the details of what you have found I wouldbe interested. Also any other info/photos on your relative.

Best wishes.

Bernard

20 Chestnut Road

Cimla

Neath

SA11 3PB

Martyn - thanks so much for that info I will check it out and see if some of it will sink in to these old grey cells of mine :unsure:

Bernard - thanks for your reply. I have sent you a PM regarding the upload of the document/s. Will wait to hear from you.

Thanks again

Annette

Just for context in case you've not seen my book - the attack on Mametz Wood on 10 July 1916 was 'the hardest thing' the Swansea Bn did in 3 years at the front (and that included the first day of the Passchendaele Offensive). The Welsh Division suffered over 4000 casualties in a single day - which, from memory, was about 14% of its losses throughout the war. 10 July was marked in Swansea as Mametz Memorial Day until the start of WW2.

Bernard