Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Popularity of medals for a particular battle

Terry

I know that here in Canada, proof that a CEF soldier was a casualty or won a decoration at Vimy Ridge tends to pretty well double the price of a group of medals. Other key battles (2nd Ypres, Passchendaele,etc.) all pale in comparison to the events of 9 April,1917.

From what I have studied, it seems that for UK units the big event was 1 July,1916. I am amazed by prices paid for casualty pairs for this day.

How about our Australian, Kiwi, and South African soldiers?

I suppose not too surprising. A massively famous date , 19,000 men lost and the first involvement of numerous Pals battalions at a number of famous (or infamous) places. The stuff that legends are made of and the price of medals to those fallen on that day reflects this. I must say that I would pay a substantial premium myself for medals to certain units casualties on that day.

I presume Commonwealth collectors would pay a similar premium for 1.07.16 Newfoundland Regt medals , Delville Wood S.A casualties , Pozieres Aussies etc.

From what I have seen a Cdn $200-250 KIA pair becomes a $400 pair if it is for Vimy Ridge.

Newfoundland medals have gone sky high. Recently a trio reached $1200.00 on ebay and didn't meet the reserve!

1st July, KIA. Manchester Pals, 22nd Bn. = 175.00 Pounds.

(Edited post)

I have paid 175.00 Pounds for these medals, (2003) it works out at about 2.00 Pounds per year from the time of his death, at the age of 23 years. What price did he pay ?

gary

post-8-1061139676.jpg

Group purchased for $75 CAN at a medal fair in approx 1986-89. Dealer never bothered to check details of this soldier:

Private, 18th Bn., Durham Light Infantry KIA- 1 July 1916 .

"Popularity" is a word that causes me to twitch, a little.. but I'd think that, based on several years of collecting for Army:

1 July 1916 (Fatalities) is top of the shop, followed by:

1914 casualties

First day of Loos (Sep 15)

Leaving out many variables, such as decorations, mentions, units etc etc. It's a hangover from the days when casualties were basically the only researchable medals in the trade. I remember a tidal wave at a small medal fair when the 'average' 1914 and Bar trio was £95. Another dealer had his at £120.. as you worked the room, you could see the carefully typed price tickets being scrubbed out in biro...

Mind you, this was the same fair, where I was going through one dealers' box of Victory Medals, seeking MGC, all carefully packeted and labelled and £5 each, where he said in a 'stage whisper' to a visiting dealer 'yeah, I put the c**p out first to see who'll go for it. Astounds me who buy these things.' No sale (then or ever since, when he wants £15 for MGC Victories). Walked away.

So, for UK troops - 1 July,1916; 1914; and Loos. More or less what I suspected, although my own awareness of the fighting at Loos is minimal.

As for Canadians, despite the "glamour" of Vimy Ridge awards, I have always been more interested in the activities of the 1st Canadian Division at 2nd Ypres, April,1915. Also, the fighting at Courcelette, Passchendaele, and Mont Sorel have attracted attention.

Having said that, I must admit that one of my most prized groups is a pair plus Memorial Cross to a Scottish-born lieutenant in the 87th Canadian Battalion. He was slightly wounded on 7 April but refused to leave his platoon. Two days later he went over the top, was hit in the spine and died a lingering death a week later.

Guest stevebec

I am not into medal collecting but I beleive those aussie soldiers who served on Gallipoli and such would have the three madals are the one's that cost the most.

Others would be these soldiers who were killed or received decorations during the war.

Light Horse medals or other units that had fewer soldiers like AFC, Camel Corps and Australian Naval Bridgeing train are the big money spinners. More if they served on Gallipoli and were awarded decorations.

S.B

At one time, these groups were not regarded as valuable and were sold for anywhere from $40-$75 CAN (mid 1980's). This beautiful group for Loos was purchased for near the above quote.

Private, 8th Bn., Devonshire Regiment, KIA First day at Loos, 25 September 1915 .

I am not into medal collecting but I beleive those aussie soldiers who served on Gallipoli and such would have the three madals are the one's that cost the most.

Yes, and unsurprisingly, medals of the 25th April, first day Gallipoli landers are the most coveted.

I had my eye on a medal trio belonging to my partner's great uncle, who had no children himself and was wounded at Lone Pine and twice at 3rd Ypre, but they've been long snapped up his nephew...never to make their way down our branch of the family tree...sigh.

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Personally speaking I am more interested in 21 March 1918 casualties. I still have a pair, plaque and photo to a 30th Division MGC casualty - £40 in 1995!

Ian :)