Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Medal Record puzzle

Jamboesque

Hi Folks,

I'm a bit new to this war history stuff and I'm trying to put some flesh on my grandad's WW1 service, so if this post seems a bit simple/of topic I aplogise. :)

I've downloaded my Grandad's WW1 Medal Record from the NA site and it gives him being in the Cameron Highlanders then the Gordon Highlanders.

However on the actual Medals marked on the rim is the Camerons not the Gordons. The two medals in question are the British War Medal and the Victory medal both Campaign Medals that are the most common.

Any ideas as to why they should be for the Camerons and not the Gordons if that is who he finished his service with.

It also seems a bit strange that he should be recruited into the the Camerons when he was a Leith chap, I would have thought his natural home would have been the Royal Scots, again I'm open to suggestions as to how this could be......

Thanks

Jambo

Any ideas as to why they should be for the Camerons and not the Gordons if that is who he finished his service with.

Jambo,

Welcome.

The medals are always named to the regiment that the soldier first entered the theatre of war with.

As to why the Camerons, your Grandfather is most probably a conscript and therefore sent to any Regiment that required the men.

Hope this goes some way to helping you!!

Jambo,

Welcome.

The medals are always named to the regiment that the soldier first entered the theatre of war with.

As to why the Camerons, your Grandfather is most probably a conscript and therefore sent to any Regiment that required the men.

Hope this goes some way to helping you!!

Thank's for that, to quote from the advert "Every Little Helps!", :)