Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Medals - any ideas?

Drummy

Apologises, not WW1 but can anyone help I have my late great uncle's medals, he served in WW2 with the 8th army. He gave me his medals, military paperwork plus hundreds of airmails, airgraphs etc he had written home to his family and they saved and luckily preserved them, the Desert & Italy campaign ones make fascinating reading! Can anyone help me at all. I have the following medals:

War medal & MID, 39-45 star, Africa star, Italy star, France & Germany star ... firstly does anyone know the order what the order of precedence would be (WW2 not my field !!!!!!) and I was always told that a medal was lost over the years. He was never awarded a medal for gallantry or the like, but would he have been entitled to the Defence medal ??

Any help would be gratefully received. Many thanks Neil.

From breastbone: 1939-45 star, Atlantic, Air Crew Europe, Africa, Pacific, Burma, Italy, France & Germany, Defence. [Not that you could have all .... some automatically excluded others.

Defence Medal precis: 3 years service at home or 6 months overseas in territories subjected to, or threatened by, air attack. By the looks of his other gongs, pretty likely the Defence Medal is the missing one.

Try PRO/NA Medal Index Cards .... should do the biz.

Period not mine, subject not mine, I just have Tapprell Dorling's Medals and Ribbons book.

Drummy,

I'm not certain WW2 mic's are available,if you have your Grandfathers army paybook it should have his medal entitlement in it,failing that,try contacting,

The Army Medal Office,

Ministry of Defence,

Government Buildings,

Worcester Rd,

Droitwich Spa,

Worcestershire,

WR9 8AU.

They are normally only willing to help relatives,so hopefully they can give you the information you need.

Regards

Stu

It's likely he DIDN'T qualify for the Defence Medal, because he didn't serve at 'home base' (UK) or in a location under attack but not covered by another Star long enough. (Bear in mind that Monty did NOT qualify for a Defence Medal). Thus, the group is most likely complete. It's also a nice Army combination. Is there an '8th Army' clasp on the Africa Star? Or a white metal '8' on any ribbons for wear on jacket?

And you can research his MID via the London Gazette online. Indeed, send details and I'll do it for you!