Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

France and Belgium 1915.Vol II:Battles of Aubers R

Roxy

Naval and Military Press have this for sale for £35. This is probably a bit more than I would normally spend on a book (and a lot more than I would tell Mrs Roxy).

Does the panel think that it is worth it?

Roxy

Definately worth it (if you're interested in the subject matter that is). Though a little dated in parts and not 100% reliable (though a lot more reliable than many), it is an excellent reference if not just for the "day by day" actions, then for the appendixes and other information too. (There's also a good account of the actions of the summer at Ypres too).

dave.

Naval and Military Press have this for sale for £35.  This is probably a bit more than I would normally spend on a book (and a lot more than I would tell Mrs Roxy).

Does the panel think that it is worth it?

Roxy

If you are interested in this time it is essential. Of course, no book is perfect but I would take a lot of convincing that these books were wrong. (New source of info, something like that).Some nice little snippets re German forces.

It is a good, generally sound and detailed reference volume, though not one I would chose to read from end to end. If your specific interest is in just one of the battles you may find an alternative volume preferable (eg Niall Cherry's volume on Loos as reviewed elsewhere on the forum).

Personally I would not want to be without it, but if you have not delved into any of the Official Histories before I would aim to see a copy before making a decision. If your local library does not have a copy they shouold be able to get one on inter library loan (there will almost certainly be a small fee).

You will not get the associated map case (useful but not essential) and the sketch maps bound in the text volume are in black rather than in colours as they are in the originals. The reprint is, however, quite a handsome red cloth bound hardback.

You can find second hand copies from time to time (both of originals and the reprint) and you should check out other booksellers prices (eg Tom Morgan Books) or even try your local Waterstones or whatever who should be able to obtain it.

If you do buy it and enjoy it I have to tell you that there are a lot more in the series covering all theatres and aspects of the War.

Huddersfield Library has a copy, so inter-library loan is possible. I have found that most Official History volumes I get from the library these days are now the N&M Press reprints.

Tony.

Thanks a lot for that. I hadn't thought about the library...doh! I supose that would be try before you buy.