Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Daniel Burges VC 7th Btn South Wales Borderers

eviltaxman

I've searched for previous threads - nowt, so here goes.......

As some of you know, I'm researching Daniel Burges VC. I'm in the process of getting a plaque made & installed at the local cemetery and after Christmas I'm going to sit down and put pen to paper and start a book on him. (biography not betting!)

As well as the usual pics and citations, I'm also hoping for letters "from the front" from the family... but that's a while off yet. What I'm after is a regimental/batallion account (i.e. diary) of his exploits that led to the VC and any info in said diary about him in the following couple of weeks.

If anyone could help, I'd be very grateful. I'm more than willing to pay for any photocopying/postage that crops up too.

Thanks,

Les.

ps.... I'll pop this item into the "visiting the NA" section too - you never know.

• 4 weeks later...

Dan Burges attended 'B' House (also called Moberley's or Toyes) here at Winchester College, where I work, from 1887 to 1892, and there may be some material in the school magazines and his boarding house's records about what he got up to at school. I have some details of his family background, etc., but have been concentrating in my research on our war dead. Here's what I've got so far on him, mostly prior to WWI, and all old hat to you, I'm sure:

Daniel Burges was the elder son of Daniel Travers Burges, Town Clerk of Bristol, and Alice Sarah Burges, daughter of Benjamin Travers. His brother was Major Edward Burges ('B' House, 1890-1896), who was killed in action at Delville Wood on July 18th 1916 whilst serving with the South African Infantry.

Born in central London, he left Winchester for RMC Sandhurst, and in 1893 was commissioned as a Second Lieutenant in 2nd Battalion, Gloucestershire Regiment. From 1899 to 1902 he saw extensive service in the Boer War, as Acting Signalling Officer to a mounted company of signallers attached to headquarters; later he moved to a staff appointment. He was present at the Relief of Kimberley, took part in operations in the Orange Free State, Orange River Colony and Transvaal, and saw action at Poplar Grove, Dreifontein, Vet River, Zand River and Rhenoster Kop.

From 1908 to 1913 he acted as Adjutant to 1st Punjab Volunteer Rifles, before returning to 2nd Gloucesters in 1914. He took part in the Second Battle of Ypres, being wounded and mentioned in dispatches (London Gazette June 22nd 1915). In October 1915 he was promoted to command 10th (1st Hull) Battalion, East Yorkshire Regiment, which moved to Larkhill in November; he joined it on November 11th. He was promoted to Captain in 1903. On October 5th 1905 he married Katherine Blanche Fortescue, daughter of Captain Edmund Fortescue RB; she died in 1931, without issue. On January 1st 1932 he married Mrs Florence Wray Taylor (daughter of W.G. Cox, of Rathfarnham, Dublin). His address in 1934 was listed as 204 Redland Road, Bristol.

Would you like me to have a look for anything particular in our archives? In return, I'd be grateful to hear of anything you might find out; I've got to give a talk on him and our other VCs to our old boys in September. We'd love to hear about the plaque; a photo and short notice would go down very well in our old boys' newsletter.

• spof changed the title to Daniel Burges VC 7th Btn South Wales Borderers