Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

London Scottish

bobpike

I have a photo of soldiers taken at a wedding (?) at the Greyhound pub in Saffron Walden, NW Essex. Those cognescenti (including the redoubtable Paul Reed) inform me they are London Scottish. Why are they in NW Essex? Were they ever billetted in the area?

Any help gratefully received,

Bob

Bob

You're going to want a more useful answer than this and I hesitate to put a couple of ideas to a superior officer but I would guess:

if it's a wedding then it could have been between a London Scottish man whose parents or bride lived in N W Essex and he's invited some of his comrades along as guests

or

the London Scottish were in summer camp or on manoeuvres locally before the war. (I've several pics of them doing this in Wiltshire in 1909-19.) Regimental histories often state where Territorial units went to camp preWWI.

Moonraker

Moonraker,

Thank you, I'm sure you're right. The family name who own the photo is Pledger & it was left by an elderly relative (also Pledger), they regognise no-one in the picture; there are no Pledgers in London Scottish in MIC, so I think your second suggestion is more likely to bear fruit, as No. 1 they could be anyone!

Bob

They moved to Bishop's Stortford until 21.1.16 when they moved to No 9 Camp, Sutton Veney for training on Salisbury Plain. On 24.4.16 they moved to another camp at Longbridge Deverill and four days later were sent to Ireland. On 12.5.16 they embarked at Rosslare for Fishguard and thence to Warminster. 21.6.16 went by train to Southampton and crossed to Le Havre on La Marguerite. 22.6.16 left for the front via Rouen arriving at Maroeuil on 25.6.16. 6.7.16 they went into the front line for training by 51st Highland Division. which they took over on 12.7.16. This was N Sector near Neuville St Vaast and they suffered their first casualties here in the normal process of trench warfare.

The battalion later moved to Salonika, then Egypt and Palestine where they were involved in the capture of Jerusalem and then back to France for the final five months of the war.

• 3 weeks later...