Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

5 Connaught Rangers

cartoss

Looking at a chap or 2 on the village memorial for the vicar. AP KNOWLES I have him buried in Malta, and 5 Bn - from CWG site. On memorial hes shown as Farr. I assume farrier. Where were the 5 Bn deployed ? I understand that there were base hospitals on Malta. So was he evacuated there from another theatre, or was his unit garrisoned on the island? Thank you. I ll save the RND one for another day

Thanks Des,

I had found this bit, but was a bit hazy about where they were after the retreat. I assume they were still in the Salonika theatre until they pulled out prior to the move to the Western Front.

The SDGW gives Albert Knowles as having died in 'salonika' although I assume given the malta burial that was meant as salonika theatre rather than precise location. The CR's were there until late 1917 when they went to Palestine.

A lot of 'Yorks' served with the 5th Cr's. Seems they went as a draft from the Yorks and Lancs early in the war.

Joe

Hello All,

The following is from Ireland's Memorial Records:

Knowles, Albert. Reg. No. 2969. Rank, Private, Connaught Rangers, 5th Battalion; died Salonica, April 28th, 1917; born Doncaster, Yorkshire.

As Edergole says, the 5th C.R. were in Salonika at that time, so presumably Knowles was evacuated to Malta for hospital treatment. The 10th (Irish) Division had major problems with malaria in Salonica, so he might have been a victim of that.

Send me a PM with your email address if you would like a copy of his entry.

Regards,

Liam

Seems this chap joined up in Pontefract. According the Y&L museum he was probably 1st Bn Y&L who were in Salonika and transfered to the Connaughts in theatre. No evidence to back that up. Thanks for the steer on this one.