Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

8 KRRC

shinglma

Accroding to my notes from Officers Died in...

HENRY DELAFOSSE SIMPSON T/LT Killed in action 24/08/1917

but CWGC has

HUGH DELAFOSSE SIMPSON

Could someone check ODGW as I am separated from my copy and I want to know whether its my error.

Thanks in advance

Mike S

and hello again to you Tom!

The rate these discrepancies are coming up it could be a long night - you didn't have plans did you? :-)

Thanks once again.

Kind regards

Mike S

This name is shown as Hugh Delafosse SIMPSON in the 1984 reprint of the original 1927 CWGC register for Tyne Cot Memorial.

Due to a different typeface being used for amendments, it can be seen that this name was an addition between 1927 and 1984.

That suggests then that originally both ODGW and CWGC had this chap down as Henry only for it later to be corrected in only the CWGC register to Hugh?

The odd thing is that I have been through several hundred of the other ranks and found only a handful of discrepancies yet with the officers have found three in fifteen records.

Thanks once again Terry.

Sorry - it doesn't suggest that as far as CWGC is concerned. My previous posting was unclear. His whole entry is in a different typeface not just his name.

This simply means that they did not have his name in their records in 1927 or that the entry was amended in some way. From the style and layout it looks like an addition.

This was a very common occurence and thousands of names were missing from the earliest editions of the registers.

Thanks Terry - that's interesting.