Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

HMT Resono - lost Boxing Day 1915(?)

Chris_B

Does anyone know anything about the trawler, HMT Resono, believed lost Boxing Day 1915 in North Sea. (Date could be wrong)

Thanks,

Chris.

Hello

RESONO was lost on 26 Dec 1915 at 51-51N, 1-38E on a mine laid by submarine UC 5.

ARNOLD HOWARD J. TELEGRAPHIST, RNVR LONDON Z 957 RESONO 26/12/15 SHIP LOSS

BARKER ALBERT ENGINEMAN, RNR E S 1649 RESONO 26/12/15 SHIP LOSS

BEAMISH ERNEST J. TRIMMER, RNR T S 372 RESONO 26/12/15 SHIP LOSS

BEAVAN WILLIAM DECK HAND, RNR S D 2697 RESONO 26/12/15 SHIP LOSS

BOWLES HENRY TRIMMER, RNR T S 3761 RESONO 26/12/15 SHIP LOSS

BURGON PETER TY/SKIPPER, RNR RESONO 26/12/15 SHIP LOSS

COOK DANIEL R. ENGINEMAN, RNR E S 1634 RESONO 26/12/15 SHIP LOSS

CULLEN JOHN SECOND HAND, RNR S A 860 RESONO 26/12/15 SHIP LOSS

MCIVER JOHN SEAMAN, RNR D 1919 RESONO 26/12/15 SHIP LOSS

NETHERTON JOHN T. DECK HAND, RNR D A 2732 RESONO 26/12/15 SHIP LOSS

ORME THOMAS A.B. (RFR B 2343) 156474 (Ch) RESONO 26/12/15 SHIP LOSS

PETERSEN JOSEPH W. TRIMMER, RNR T S 912 RESONO 26/12/15 SHIP LOSS

ROBERTSON GILBERT L/SEAMAN, RNR C 1450 RESONO 26/12/15 SHIP LOSS

don

All hands by the look of it. :(

A Great Yarmouth boat of 230 tons launched 1910 , used as an Armed Patrol vessel and she was requisitioned January 1915 before hiting the mine near the Sunk Light Vessel on 26/12/1915.

Aye

Malcolm

The mines were laid by UC 5 on December 17, 1915 while on her 15th patrol. The small minelaying submarine actually laid two separate minefields totally 12 mines near the Sunk LV on this patrol; the British submarine E 6 was also lost on December 26, 1915 in the other minefield.

Best wishes,

Michael

Gentelmen,

Many many thanks for such a prompt posting to my request for information. A question about the Resono was placed elsewhere on the Internet and the descendent of one of the crew members will I'm sure be delighted to know more about the Resono's fate.

On mine, and their behalf thankyou all,

Chris.

• 14 years later...

I have tracked down a photo of Deckhand William Charles Augustus BEAVAN of Deal, in Kent. He was my Great-Grandfather's wife's older brother. The photo was found yesterday when I was searching through a bundle of documents that had been acquired by an aunt many years ago. 

William was born in Portland in Dorset on the 24th September 1878, the son of George Alfred and Ellen Mary Beavan. His family moved to Deal when he was young and he married Ellen Mary Dadd in Eastry in April 1898. By the time of WW1 they were living at 2, Chapel Street in Deal and had had six children, with a seventh on the way.

On the 8th September 1915 he joined the Royal Naval Reserve Trawler fleet and on the 28th October was assigned to the Admiralty trawler HMT Resono as a deckhand, under the command of HMS Ganges shore base. He is described in his service records as 5'8", a 38 inch chest, hazel eyes, a ruddy complexion and with tattoos of a man, woman and an anchor on his left forearm and another anchor on his right forearm. His service number was 2697.

The Resono was an Admiralty patrol vessel, No.1042 under the command of Captain Peter Burgon. As you know, on Boxing Day 1915 the vessel hit a mine that had been laid a few days earlier by U-Boat UC.5 off the coast of Harwich. The Captain and all 12 Ratings were lost. William never met his youngest daughter Mabel as Ellen was still pregnant when he was killed.
William's body was never recovered. He is commemorated on Panel 14 of the Chatham Naval Memorial, Chatham, Medway, Kent.

Scan_20200410 sm.jpg

Nice to have a good image of a lost relative.

A couple of notes to your summary:-

His full RNR Official Number was 2697.SD, which denotes that he was enrolled as a deckhand in the Special Trawler Section (other RNR deckhands having DA, DB or DE suffixes). The Special Section was started in April 1915 to enrol men who would not normally qualify. In particular, pervious civilian employment and fitness rules were waived.

For accuracy, Peter BURGON was the Skipper of RESONO, not Captain: Skipper [Warrant Officer] RNR, Official Number 779.WSA.

A few more notes:
"Resono" was a requisitioned Grimsby trawler, one of G.F. Slieght's fleet - Port Registration Number GY 508.
A.B. Thomas ORME is buried at NOORDWIJK GENERAL CEMETERY Location: Zuid-Holland, Netherlands.
Three of the crew survived;
TOFTON, Clifford Stanley (20) Deck Hand, No. 1779 DA. RNR.
Born 17 February 1895, Grimsby. RNR District: Grimsby. (Leg broken).
NEWTON, Joseph Henry (37) Deck Hand, No. 93 SD. RNR.
Born 12 November 1878, Middlesborough. RNR District: Middlesborough. (Uninjured).
WELLBURN, Robert (38) Trimmer, No. 4541 TS. RNR.
Born 7 November 1877, Sunderland. RNR District: North Shields. (Uninjured).

Terry