Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Castle Camps

bobpike

On the War Memorial of Castle Camps there are two mystery men, can anyone help, please?

They are -

Carter Maurice

Middleditch Alfred. He has a relative (brother?) who I've identified - Middleditch Pte. Joseph 7Suff 9.8.16 – Thiepval 1C & 2A

Hello Bob

There was a birth registered for Maurice Claud Carter in Q2/18899 in Tendring, Essex, which includes "Alresford, Ardleigh, Beaumont cum Moze, Bradfield, Brightlingsea (from 1880), Dovercourt, Elmstead, Frating, Frinton, Great Bentley, Great Bromley, Great Clacton, Great Holland, Great Oakley, Harwich, Kirby le Soken, Lawford, Little Bentley, Little Bromley, Little Clacton, Little Holland, Little Oakley, Manningtree, Mistley, Ramsey, St. Osyth, Tendring, Thorpe le Soken, Thorrington, Walton le Soken, Weeley, Wix, Wrabness. "

Son of Frederick & Eliza Carter. The family are living at Hariwck St Nicholas on the 1901 census.

Any use?

Stephen,

thank you, but probably not, Castle Camps is in Cambs on the NW Essex border. Grateful for your kindness,

Bob

Bob. am I right in thinking there may be a GREYGOOSE on your war memorial. They are my ancestors (on the English side!) and I know a branch of the family lived in Castle Camps or thereabouts

Patrick

Patrick,

As Castle Camps is right at the edge of 'my research area,' I have at present only the names from SDGW, and there is no Greygoose listed. I do, however, have one listed with a Stansted Mountfitchet connection (see Pal 'Shaymen' who is fully researching this Memorial) -

Greygoose Rfn. F 2KRRC 23.10.14 – Menin Gate 51-53

Bob, thanks for that. Yes I have the one Shaymen has, just wondered if there might be one at Castle Camps.

Thanks

Patrick

Bob

Ref Maurice Carter - CWGC has a L/Cpl Morris Carter, a 1918 casualty in the Canadians. Might be worth checking the Candian Roll for details.

Cannot help on Mr Middleditch.

Ian

There is an Alfred Middleditch on 1901 census 7 years old born in Silvertown, Essex and resident West Ham. There was also a Joseph Middleditch born in Silvertown, Res West Ham who was 4 years old. I presume that Joseph is the brother you have already found.

Ian,

Thank you. I had considered him but can find nothing to link him, as well as the different spelling...?

Myrtle,

THank you, I'm sure they're the pair, but what next?

Bob

Bob,

Candian military records for WW1 are online - you can view the attestation papers. However, before you get too excited I just did that and looked up Morris Carter - this chap was indeed from England, but states he was born in Hartlepool, Durham.

Oh well, it was worth a try....

Ian

Bob,

Next avenue - NA medal rolls show a dozen Maurice Carters, and two of whom were in the Cambs regt. Maybe worth spending a few bob (no pun intended) looking at their medal cards, in case one gives KIA or some such.

There are a couple of Alfred Middleditches too.

No guarantee your men were army of course, but at least another avenue to explore.

Another favourite suggestion - local newspaper archives for WW1 - casualty lists were often printed on a weekly basis.

Good hunting,

Ian

Just checked my Cambs Rgt records... the two Maurice Carters mentioned are the same man...

Maurice A Carter, No 3892 & 326509, Shepreth, enl 31-5-15, age 21. MM for 14/15-10-16. wounded 26-9-17. Discharged 5-4-18, wounds, aged 21.

Ian & Cliff,

Thank you, plenty to follow up there. I wonder if Carter's wounds led to a later death, thus on CWGC? Local burial/newspaper records here I come!

Bob

• 1 month later...
Guest Simon Bull
On the War Memorial of Castle Camps there are two mystery men, can anyone help, please?

They are -

Carter Maurice

Middleditch Alfred. He has a relative (brother?) who I've identified - Middleditch Pte. Joseph 7Suff 9.8.16 – Thiepval 1C & 2A

I have spoken to my wife's step-father (coincidentally called Carter, but not related) and he tells me that Maurice Carter on the memorial was Captain Edward Maurice Carter of the 11th K. E. O. Lancers killed 15 August in an unknown year of the War at Tel Afar, Mesopotamia who was the son of the Revd Carter who was the vicar of the neighbouring village of Bartlow, but had until approximatley July 1915 been the Vicar of Castle Camps.

I cannot find a record of his death on the CWGC database, but Mr Carter has a copy of an undated document called "Parish Magazine" (but apparently relating to several Cambridgeshire parishes) which reports his death in the terms set down above.

Mr Carter also believes (on the basis of what his mother has told him) that Marurice Carter's name was added to the Memorial (and to the parish church roll of honour) some time after the War Memorial was originally constructed.