Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

11:00 on 11/11/18. Then what?

Le_Treport

I'm interested in reading more about the aftermath of the war. Not only how the military units were run-down, men de-mobbed etc, but also how did life on the Western Front resume? When did the inhabitants return? How did the battlefields get cleared? When did farming restart? How were land/property disputes solved? How did people finance rebuilding their lives? etc....etc..

Can anyone recommend any books on this topic please?

Thanks in advance......

This is a topic that has interested me too.. I suspect most writing on such topics would have been in French, as that was the language of all the locals involved.. seems that once the other nations left they forgot about it.

There is an aricle on Reconstruction here :-

Reconstruction and World War I

I'm interested in reading more about the aftermath of the war. Not only how the military units were run-down, men de-mobbed etc, but also how did life on the Western Front resume? When did the inhabitants return? How did the battlefields get cleared? When did farming restart? How were land/property disputes solved? How did people finance rebuilding their lives? etc....etc..

Can anyone recommend any books on this topic please?

Thanks in advance......

For a look at Germany,

Germany After the First World War by Richard Bessel

Vanguard of Nazism by Robert Waite

A Brief History of the Birth of the Nazi Party by Nigel Jones

and also Remarque's The Road Back, which although fiction is a very good insight into the mind of the returning soldiers (a counterbalance is von Salomon's The Outlaws)

You could try this if you can get hold of a copy:

http://www.exeterpress.co.uk/histcon.htm#After%20the%20Ruins

I haven't read it but I have read a few associated academic articles and they were very interesting - about how, for example, British communities gave money to French villages to help them rebuild. I'd post the references for those too except that I have no idea what I've done with them!

Swizz

Alisdair

I asked this question myself a few months back and one really useful reply pointed me towards a book "The Challenge of The Dead" by Stephen Graham.

The screen shot below is of the preface.

These look like 'the very dab' - Thank you!