Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Medal Card Problem

Jerrymurland

This is the medal card of a private in the Sussex Yeomanry which later became the 16th Royal Sussex. I know he served in Gallipoli and Egypt/Palestine before he was commissioned into the RAF - or was it still the RFC? Trying to track down where he was after taking to the skies! Not sure if the entry under the victory medal reads RFC or AFC? Any idea what the ominous word 'scrapped' might signify?

post-8747-1132653102.jpg

Hi Jerry,

No expert on the RFC/RAF although I would think that he was probably commissioned into the RFC initially on 19 March 1918....but only just as the RAF were actually formed on 1 April 1918. I would suggest obtaining his service papers which for a start will give you a squadron and theatre of war. After that you can have a look at the squadrons operational records. I believe these records are kept at the NA....I am sure someone else can tell you where. You may find that the scrapped entry refers only the the second 1914/15 Star entry. I think the notation in the first column for this entry is Retd. It looks as though the star may have been returned for some reason....and scrapped....a strange one.

Rgds

Tim D

Cheers Jerry,

His official website is here.

http://ericbogle.net/

He is a Scotsman who emigrated to Australia. He write The Gift of Years for the 90th Anzac Day. He also wrote The Band Played Waltzing Matilda and Green Fields of France.

Rgds

Tim