Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help Needed

shinglma

21-11-200514-37-27_0309.jpg

I'm fairly clear on this chaps medal entitlement and service at the top but have a couple of questions about the remarks column.

a Can anyone make out what is written following I.V.2171/M 2.9.19? Its obviously something to do with his commission but I can't make out the writing.

b Can anyone explain to me the above I.V.2171/M 2.9.19 code and also the longer one lower in the remarks. The latter looks like BM&VM I.V.X/3737d/31.10.21 (w5/1/8091) to me. If so I take its to do with the British and Victory Medals but I would be interested to find out what 25/1/8091 is.

Thanks in advance for any light you can shed on this.

Mike

These are the MEDAL ROLL page{W5{S?}/1/8091::MGC/101 B14 1427} references[accessible @ the NA],that the MiC was used to refer to by the Medal Office,etc; I note also he is stated as being on the R&FR[Rank & File Roll] MGC;[from which possibly one or other of his Medals was awarded from] the dates in 1919 & 1921 is the dates of the Medals being issued.

Thanks very much for the reply.

Do I take it then that the 14 star would be inscribed with his 2/KRRC details.

If so what would his BWM &VM be accorded to - his MGC service or commission in the RIR?

I'm not used to so much information on one MIC!

Mike

His 1914 Star would{should} be impressed 2/KRRC, as an Officer; the BWM & AVM should not carry any Regiment Details,just his Rank{highest achieved on O/S operational service usually denoted on MiC by "X" with dots betwixt arms} & Name.However if Commissioned post 11.11.1918,or on permanent return to the UK prior to that,it would be that his medals would {should}carry his original Regiment Details,in this case KRRC;regardless of later postings & Commission.

{ I have numerous Groups where the Men concerned where Commissioned or Promoted to CQMS,etc,on return to the UK or just post Armistice;yet their Medals are Impressed with the highest Rank achieved whilst Overseas Only,often just Private/Corporal}

the BWM  & AVM should not carry any Regiment Details,just his Rank{highest achieved on O/S operational service usually denoted on MiC by "X" with dots betwixt arms} & Name.

Sorry - not for the first time I'm being daft. I knew that and should have stopped to think before posting

However if Commissioned post 11.11.1918,or on permanent return to the UK prior to that,it would be that his medals would {should}carry his original Regiment Details,in this case KRRC;regardless of later postings & Commission.

That I didn't know. Very useful.

Thanks ever so much for your help.

Mike